+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hale

Blog Entries

Hale

On Thursday night we had high winds, rain and hale. Not a little hale--enough hale to make it look like it had snowed. I even recall looking out front and seeing some garden area covered with the white hale and telling my husband that maybe white stones(marble chips ) would look good there based on how the hale stones made the area look ! The hale was voluminous ! I'd say quarter sized. I was worried that windows might break.
    This was all at night. The next morning...oh my ! My iris flowers were ripped to shreds. Tree leaves were shredded and blown everywhere-the streets were filled with them.
    I have to take a photo but under my cherry tree, the ground is pink ! Covered with blossom petals; it looks like pink snow !
    My lilium were already in trouble prior to being put outside but between the low temps and the hale this will be the worst year for them. I doubt I'll have many blooms and I just hope the bulbs survive.
    Peonies look good--still in bud and buds still there !
    Nothing to do with hale but Mr. Bunny ate my Giant Pansies--stripped the flowers right off ! Oh well, what can you do .
    It is windy and chilly today--no outdoor work today.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Hail can be hell on our plants!

I wouldn't worry about the lily bulbs, the remaining plants will recuperate and help the bulb build some energy reserves for next year - give them a little extra does of bone meal and some balanced fertilizer.

The pansies ought to be able to bloom again - if you can keep Mr Bunny away from them! And Peonies don't really have any weather related "issues" until the blooms open and then it always rains buckets!

My dwarf Iris, 'Wild Cherry' is about done and a couple of other dwarfs are ready to open. They'll be fine, we won't get the heavy rains here until my TB Iris open and then it always seems to storm when a bunch have just opened and are looking so lovely!

Oh, and don't you dare use those tacky white marble "chips" as a ground cover!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Generally speaking, the flowers will recover.
    I'm with Rebecca on those marble chips, or most anything "permanent" as a mulch.

The really big thing to be concerned about is your roof! Hale stones cause round spots of missing grit in the roofing, which dramaticly reduces the life of the shingles. Your home owners insurance company will pay to replace them.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Hmm. Hadn't even thought about the roof. I'll check. Thanks.

So, it sounds like white marble chips are not very well-liked. I'm tickled at the reaction. LOL! I know they are ridiculously expensive. They might look better in year round warm climates like Arizona or Florida--kind of that 'sun and sand' look.

There were high winds this morning and lots of thunder, lightening and rain, but not really as bad as could be.

One time my roof was damaged by hail. It was really bad, and chunks of roof were all over the ground around the outer edge of the house.

The insurance company (which I will never use again) hired a firm to write a report that said it was not due to hail. The same insurance company hired a company to prove that the a/c unit was not hit by lightening, but it was. The deductible was so high that I only received a little over $100 in damage, and I assure you that the insurance company paid much more than this to hire the company to say that it was not lightening damage so then my insurance rates went up. I found another insurance company.

Oh, well....

Good Luck, Cathy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cathy,
    Sorry the hail tore up the plants and gardens so bad but they will recover. I saw a cute little bunny the other day as I took the dog out. At least I thought he was cute til I saw what he did to my parsley! All I have left are little stems. Wascally wabbit.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Parsley, yum ! I'll bet that was a delicacy !
    Today was warmer than yesterday and virtually no wind.
    I am trying to train my clematis plants onto a trellis. I found one had grown into a peony plant. I didn't even realize that section even was there until I unravelled it out of the peony.
    My transplanted Johnny Jump Ups are thriving. I hope they reseed where I planted them(in front on sitting stones(limestones) under a tree).
    I found a bird nest probably blown from the storm--empty. It was very hefty and strong so I put it up in the pine tree. Who knows maybe some birds look for used homes. LOL!
    I can't wait to have some time and good weather to work outside for a stretch...as always lots of gardening to be done !

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

It wouldn't surprise me if a Mourning Dove didn't take over that nest! (I assume) the Dove that used the old Robin's nest under the awning is back again this spring and already brooding her first clutch of eggs! Seems earlier than last year so she could raise 2 clutches of young this year if the weather holds and food is plentiful. It's really kind of neat to be able to open my front door and eye eye to beak, practically, with the Dove.

You might want to wet the nest down some and eally cram it between the branches, maybe tie it down with some string, just not over the top (cup).

Do let us know if your "rent it out"!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Here is the 'pink snow' photo":
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread