+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patchy frost; hard freeze

Blog Entries

Patchy frost; hard freeze

I am soooo glad that I did not put out my potted lilies ! Tonight will be 30 and tomorrow 29--some patchy frost tonight and I assume chance of hard freeze tomorrow night. I might put them out Sunday since I will be gone and the temps are supposed to go back up.
    It is terribly windy and the weather can turn on a dime. Yesterday right before leaving work, there was a downpour with small hale. I left about 5 minutes later and walked outside into sunshine ! And as I drove about 3/4 mile--the pavement was dry. The sky has looked dramatic--dark foreboding steel gray to black clouds in one direction and sun in the other. Very changeable !
    Thank goodness no tornadoes.
    I was tickled as I was picking up tipped lily pots(the Easter lilies from church) and glanced into my combo daylily/assorted perennials corral(they are awaiting being planted in the ground). Anyway, I saw something poking up in one pot and had to think hard as to what it could be. I was tickled to recall it was lily of the valley which I had placed in the pot and then thought it had died from lack of water in the summer ! I also saw phlox--yay ! It is either purple or white--not sure. If I wasn't so cold, I would have looked harder for astilbe--now if I find that alive, I will be truly amazed. It is exciting to see stuff pop up and then try to figure out what it is !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

There is a slight possibility of frost in my little valley. Temps are forecasted from 39-46, but who knows...

This next week is spring break for me. I have much to do to catch up with school, but during this cool spell, I plan to dig!

Making a list and putting them in priority order, Rebecca's jewels will be planted in the gardens first. They are currently in huge pots which are now overgrown. No signs of scapes, yet...

The plastic has not been removed. Some amaryllis were taken outside, but will be brought back inside for a couple of days.

I simply will not take the chance...

I am ready for daylily season! Will it ever arrive?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, the forecast has changed time and time again. Currently, they are saying 35-39, depending on what site you visit.

I thought I would share some spring blooms. You've seen them before, but if you are like me, it is always fun to see them again!

This was the first of my clematis to bloom.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another clematis...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lavender Trumpet Vine
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Our low last night was 28, but it got there gradually and then started to warm up around 4 in the morning and really warmed up around 9 AM. Nothing that was up and none of the daffodils were even phased but it! Tonight it is supposed to get down to 30 and I expect it will be a gradual cool sine it is nearly 50 today and tomorrow it will be close to 60, 70 by the week end I think is what I saw on the extended forecast! Spring is here and winter has lost it's grip, even if it is clinging at night.

All of my in ground daylilies are coming along and the surviving potted ones look great for the most part, a few do look rather puny and those probably won't make it either. So much for hardy crosses! (Some I will try to re-make).

The wild Blood Root is blooming and has been over in the lot for about a week. Mine have just started to open so they will be around for a few more days. I love this little wildling!

Oh! Cathy, before I forget, 'Liliy of the Valley' does go dormant in summer, so expect it to happen again especially under drought and high heat conditions. Mine almost always is dormant by August and I have a good size area of it that is slowly trying to take over the lawn area! This plant can be or perhaps is as bad a "Ditch Lilies" when it comes to being invasive, so be careful about where you plant it!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Yippee!

No frost damage! Not any that I could find anyway.

It only got down to 37 degrees, but that is really cold for this time of the year.

Time to start taking off the plastic....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Another cold night here last night, down to 30, burr! No frost, no other damage and I even have the first of my few tulips open this morning, a lovely yellow one.

It will be below 40 tonight, but not by much. I am hoping we have seen the last of old man winter here!

Going to reach 70 wonderful, warm degrees here tomorrow and possibly 80 by the week end! A little too warm for the Daffs but if it's gradual they will be good for a few more days and then the mid-season and lates will be starting. And more Tulips and my extra early Iris!!!

Yeah! Spring is here!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    It is very nice out right now but windy and chilly. I have got to get outside and weed and get my potted lilies out of the garage ! Tomorrow they are predicting rain and wind. Sunday should be nice. I'd rather not cram my gardening into one day. Hopefully they will be wrong about Saturday's weather ! But I sooo want to get outside and garden ! I think it is going to be a good daylily year !

Blog Entries
    Yay ! The potted lilies are out of the garage ! Suposed to be mid 30's tonight but they'll be OK.
    Yesterday I pulled weeds and overseeded some parts of the lawn. At the end it was a race against an approaching storm. I worked down to the wire and finished right after the first flash of lightening(I shouldn't have even waited for that--the first clap of thunder is usually when I call it quits).
    So, got my chores done for the weekend.
    Also, lucked out and picked up a night table that a neighbor put curbside with a 'free' sign after their garage sale. It's hexagonal and has two doors in front. About 18 inches high and 2 feet across. Hubby and I were on the way to the grocery store. I saw it and turned the car. Hubby was asking 'what are we going to do with it?'. I said, 'let's take it and figure that out later". Glad he was there as it was a little heavy and bulky. I used to think first and then miss out but I learned that if something catches your attention(and it's free) take it and figure its use out later.

A cold front is also coming this way tonight. Depending on who you want to believe, the low temps for the next two days are going to be 48-50 degrees and the highs around 70.

I won't complain. This time of the year, it is nice to have COOL! Temps have been mostly in the 80's.

Cathy! Your curb side pickup sounds fantastic!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread