+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sprouts

sprouts

I noticed today that I have sprouts in some of the containers of wintersown seeds. Woohoo!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vic, ya wanna give us some clues as to what you planted?

I sowed some lily seeds in the pots with the bulbs they came from, noting up and may not be since that blasted "tree rat" had to go digging in the pots. I even filled pots with old soil just for him to dig in, but noooo, it has to use my potted plants!

Only things I have seen sprouting have been weed seeds!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,
    I have so far:
    columbine cream and purple
    hibiscus hardy pink
    Cleome
    campanuala cup and saucer vine
    blue pea vine
    caster beans
    columbine red and white
    black jack sedum
    sweet peas
    texas red star hibiscus
    dianthus
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    That's quite the variety, Vicki!Congrats!

My assumption that the old tree rat ruined any lly seed ws right, nada! Plenty of weeds growing in other pots and lost of Lemon Balm and Sweet Violet are coming up in various pots. The violets I am leaving for the time being, but have been pulling out all of the Lemon Balm as I just do not need it everywhere!

I'll will try again with crossing a few of the Asiatic Lilies and sowing the seeds in the pots with the bulbs or maybe in new pots and will move them to a spot where that blasted tree rat won't be getting into them (close to the house). then again, maybe I won't.

Dug and potted Blackberry lilies from over in the field bed today where I had scatted seeds year before last when I had re-done the bulb lily nursery. I got 9 nice small clumps, doubt they bloom this year, but they could. Most of those didn't make it through the first winter, but there seems to be a nice number of blooming sized plants (liliums) this spring. If I get to do what I want to do I will move all of the bulbs out of that end this fall and re-work the bed so I can plant other things there. Have to kill the weeds first though. Where all these weeds come from is beyond me!

I've been working on getting daylily seedlings moved out/sold so I have some space again and plan on planting out all of the potted lily bulbs I currently have as well as a few other perennials for sales stock. Who knows, one of these days I might have a nice enough variety of perennials I can actually open the garden to foot traffic.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I think I over did it on the hardy pink hibs. I think everyone of them germinated. Potted up 198! What on earth do you do with that many???? I could plant a whole border of them, lol.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    They would make a beautiful summer wind break!

Seriously though, if you can keep them alive and growing in containers over this coming winter (lay on sides, cover w/pine straw) you should be able to sell them easily next summer when they are in bloom! Even if only half of them make it, you'll still have plenty to sell or give away! Just remember, they seldom come into growth until mid-Mat yo first of June! So don't get in a hurry to toss them next year!

You could get a few blooms this fall even!

I really ought to dig and divide the ones I have in the front bed, but it is not a job I care to do this spring. Need to have my saw sharpened first - that's about the only way you can divide them once they get as big as this one is!!!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread