+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Flood...

Another Flood...

During the late night morning hours! They call them 100 year floods. NOT!

This is what it left behind. That is not my mulch. The back gate busted open again, and the debree is from the neighorhood next to this one.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    What a strange drainage setup. Is that fence broken ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

For about the fifth time, Cathy! The fence is a 6 foot fence because of the 'ditch' that my neighbor made in the property before I purchased my home. His house floods, so he was trying to provide more drainage. At the time there were only two houses in the subdivision. My home was the third to be built.

At the time that I purchased this house, I did not know about these flooding problems or the change in the landscape.

At some time in the future, I hope to be able to afford to fill in the 'ditch' in the middle of my back yard as well as the west property line. In the meantime, I am documenting by taking lots of pictures.

I don't feel that it would be wrong for me to correct a problem that someone else created for me.

Certainly, I am glad that this happened on a Saturday morning because the street was flooded and I would not be able to get out at 6:30am to drive to school.

I feel for my neighbor because his home has been flooded so many times, but he has tried hard to make sure the water stays on my property. One year, he even put props on my fence to hold it so that the water would not flow to him.

Fortunately, my home is very high and not impacted by this change to my yard. I have never had any water come into my home.

It has stopped raining, and it is now time for me to check the greenhouse to see if it was flooded.

Back in a bit...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The greenhouse did not flood, so all is okay.

Cathy,

One year, the neighbor whose house gets flooded, actually built a block in the county owned ditch behind my home. That was the same year that he propped my fence to hold the debree and water on my land.

Obviously, I removed the block as soon as I saw it. He has tried numerous other ways to block flow to his property, and some of them are okay, but when it presents a hazard to my home or property, I do not accept it.

The fence was put up when Hunter was 4 years old. He would watch the grandchildren playing in the swimming pool of the offending neighbor's. He wanted so badly to go play in that pool. This scared me because there was no fence (and still isn't) around the pool, so I fenced my yard to make sure that he didn't venture over there.

Fencing the 'ditched' area was difficult because the land suddenly dropped, so 1 ft. of fence was buried under the ground leaving 5' above. Hard to explain.

Anyway, it has made it difficult to plant anything along this fence area because not only did he dig the deep trench from east to west, he dug a trench on the inside of my property line from north to south which also needs filling.

What did he do with all the dirt that he dug? He built a burm to protect his swimming pool from flooding.

I must be really getting old because I am more and more agitated by the inconvenience of my neighbors...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Hmmm. Sounds like a course of broken concrete and 3 or 4 dump trucks full of fill dirt on top would take care of that situation.

Ann, your neighbor is quite inconsiderate. I suppose you can't say anything now because this was done before you purchase the house. I hope the cleaning up won't be too bad.

Well, it seems like nothing can be cleaned up for the wet part beside waiting it to drain? I have an area in my lawn that has similar situation (I am new to the house, just 1.5 years).

I am going to try to fix it this spring/summer; but I am also thinking about making it to be a bog garden.... so sort of like working with it rather than trying to fix it. Maybe you can do something like that too.

Cathy,

Either that or I sell the house and purchase another that does not have this problem. That is always a possibility, except for the fact that I never ever want to move again, and I like my home.

Dave,

You are correct! Some people are not capable of thinking of anyone other than themselves.

Obviously, I will have to let this dry for a few days. Then, it will all go to the compost pile.

Since this is not the first time it has happened, I feel sure that I will have to replace the 6' posts. Not fun, but we do what we must do.

Thankfully, I have Hunter to help me!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Holy Cow!

The wheel barrow was empty yesterday. It is filled with water today. That means that there was 6-8" of rain in a very short period of time.

I am surprised and grateful that there are no signs of flooding in my greenhouse or porch areas.

That's a LOT of rain!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Yes, the NBC Nightly News just said Mobile had 8 inches or rain in 12 hours ! The wheelbarrow is correct !

Thanks for reporting!

We used to have a service online that told us the amount of recent rainfall, but that service went away.

And I don't have a gauge anymore that will record that much rain.

Anyway, it came within a few hours, so many areas of the citywas flooded.

I slept through most of it. I was so very tired. When it is dark and the weekend, I sleep. Forgive me, but sometimes, I am so exhausted and it is bright and sunny on the weekend, and I sleep... So, give me darkness and you know I am a zombie!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We used to have a service online that told us the amount of recent rainfall, but that service went away.
    Ann, if you ever need that information again, you can go to
    www.weather.com

First enter your city of course.

After that you will see near the top a series of menu selections saying "yesterday" "today" "tomorrow" "radar map" etc

Click on yesterday , it will show the precipitation for yesterday. And from that screen, you can choose to go back up to a week to check precipication from last week till today.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread