+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sad School News

Sad School News

Some of you know that we are having graduation exams this week. This is not just my school. It is all high schools in my county.

Something tragic happened at one of the high schools. Please know that it did not happen at my school.

Students who have already passed these exams spend time in various areas of the school. At my school, Seniors stay in the cafteria. Juniors and sophomores who have passed that day's particular exam stay in the gym. Testing last for about 3 hours.

At one of our local schools, a student took out a gun, shot it into the ceiling (to get everyone's attention?) and then shot and killed himself. This was in front of 150 other students.

Please pray for all the high school students in our system. Even though it did not happen at my school, many students were upset. I can't imagine how hard it is for those students at the high school where this occured. And, oh! My goodness! The effect it will have on those students that were in the gym...

And don't forget the teachers while you are praying. It is so difficult because this is so close to home. Myself included! I cannot imagine any of my students having to grow though this type experience.

Needless to say, it has been a rough day, a rough week, and I simply feel like dumping!

And I think I just did!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is so tragic and sad. I am praying for the students, the teachers and all affected. It is going to be easy for anyone, children or adults, to recover quickly after seeing this thing or knowing that it happened so close by.
    Dave

I hesitate to tell the rest of the story, but I know that I should.

The boy that killed himself after bringing attention to himself, well.. He was in trouble. He had arrests (multiple, I think) for robbery. Then, the day before his suicide, he was suspended from school and therefore should have never been allowed on campus.

This is a tough call, because it is possilble to get the word to teachers that a student has been suspended, so he cannot be allowed in class. However, these were different circumstances. The seniors were in the gym while other grades were testing, so it was not a normal classroom setting.

Still, I had a suspended student come to my last class of the day and had no clue that she had to be cleared by administration to come back to class. When I asked for her clearance papers, she had no clue because no other teacher had asked from them. So, she missed half of the class seeking the appropriate papers.

So sad....

The boy should not have been on campus, and maybe if he had not been, this would not have happened.

Who knows!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We don't know, and now we will never know.

If the student was not allowed to be on campus, he could be so upset that he did more damaging thing. Who knows.

A life is a life. I am feeling sad for this, but I am "glad" that at least it wasn't one of those crazy cases where he killed some others before killing himself.
    Dave

Totally sad situation no matter which way you look at it.
    I'll be saying prayers for everyone.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

That is such a sad situation. I hope it never happens at your school Ann. When my youngest son was in high school, one of his fellow students was arrested and charged with the attempted murder of his father. That really shook up the school here too.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

+ Reply to Thread