+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keylimes!

Keylimes!

As evidenced by my name, I LOVE keylimes! I have many trees started from seed in my greenhouse. These are authentic from-the-Bahamas keylimes and are true, not the "mexican" keylimes sold commercially. I have had some trees for fifteen years and have had crops a few years. This year my second oldest tree is set for a bumper crop, over which I am so excited! Here's a coupla pics:

I will post more pics when the limes develop. I LOVE real keylime juice in hot tea! Anybody else out there a keylime fan?

I adore keylime pie, but to be honest, I have never tried to grow them.

How big do the plants get?

Are you saying that they grow true from seed? If so, then I desperately need some seeds to try!

Welcome to Landspro, and I apologize for it taking me so long to approve your membership.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

No problem, Ann, about the registration. We got it worked out, and I'm happy to be here.
    My original keylime tree was started from seed that came from a native fruit tree and other trees started from the seeds of fruits from the first tree. By "true" I meant that these are trees from the REAL key limes not those that you see in the grocery stores that are actually from Mexico, or those that are called Persian limes. It is hard to find a real key lime now days. The citrus diseases wiped out all of the Bahamian crops entirely.
    My biggest problem is now that they are all growing, where am I gonna find space to keep them all in the winters! My plans and dreams for a big free standing greenhouse keep getting waylaid.

Here is a pic of one of the fruits from a coupla years ago:

OH!!!!

Please save me some seeds! I absolutely adore keylime pie!

Who doesn't?

Besides, I am a fruit nut!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Key lime

If you are trading Keylime seeds then I am interested in a few seeds

It will quite a few months until I have any seeds. The baby limes that are all over this tree will be about 7-8 months to maturity and then if they all survive, I will be inundated with seeds and be happy to share!

HI!

I don't know if mine are authentic, but I purchased two pounds of keylimes for $2.96 at the store this afternoon. The label says 'Suzie Brand' from McAllen, TX.

I haven't opened any to see if there are any seeds, but it will be fun to play with a few seeds this spring and see what happens.

In the morning, I will stop by the new Walmart that is two miles from my home and purchase what it takes to make a fresh keylime pie!

Yummy!

Keylime, are there several different varieties of keylime?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wow!

I cut one of the more ripened ones open and found two seeds.

Then I bit into a slice, and WOW! What a punch! These have more flavor than any lemon or lime variety that I have ever tasted.

No wonder you are hooked on keylimes!

Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread