+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mother of Thousands - Blooms

Mother of Thousands - Blooms

Kalanchoe daigremontiana

These are in a planter at school and have survived several hard freezes. The are somewhat protected by their location.

Today, I remembered to bring my camera so that I could take pictures of the pretty, tiny blooms!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi 'marginata' blooms

Another Kalanchoe in bloom that looks similar is K. fedtshenkoi.
    This is the first time it has bloomed for me and did so while in the GH in January.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

I have two different ones but neither have ever bloomed, just had thousands of babies. wonder if they need a longer season than I have to bloom. THey are cute little blooms and interesting plants.
    tennessee sue

They look very nice. I didn't know kalanchoes have this form. I am only familiar with Home Depot's Kalanchoes. LOL.
    Dave

I have my very first ever Mother of Thousands bloom this year. It is SO TALL! At least six feet! I have heard the plants die after they bloom. Anyone know for sure? My bloom is a few weeks old now and just beginning to wane, and I was hoping to cut back the plant and save it for another go round. Of course I have many many babies to grow up into new plants and bloom! Here's a pic of the bloom:

I hope mine will bloom this year. I wil never worry about not having one. The little plantlets fal off everywhere and I find them growing in everything else and even some in the driveway last year. suspect a cat might have snacked them of the mother plant.
    tennessee sue

Kalanchoe thrysifolia blooms

Had another Kalanchoe bloom but this bloom is sort of unique. The flower maintains the silvery pubescent color and texture of the plant itself. This close-up shot reveals the a bloom that would ordinarily be overlooked due to blending into the plant.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

That one is unique. Does it have plantlets form on the stems like the one commonly called Mother of Thousands?
    tennessee sue

No plantlets from the leaf. The leaves are very large, rounded and flat - rather unique - and I propagate it from basal shoots primarily.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Very pretty, Bob!

Keylime, I really like yours. 6 feet tall? That is amazing! The ones at school are less than a foot tall.

I have never heard of them dieing after they bloomed, but to be honest, I have always observed plants of others which multiply so readily, so there is a constant supply of plants. I will keep an eye on the current plants at school and see if they die. That makes them sound like an 'annual', doesn't it?

True annuals die after their 'annual' bloom, but many plants considered as annuals are tender perennials here and can be made to continue to live for more years (usually by rooting cuttings and protecting from frost).

For sure, I am going to also watch for seeds...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, the mother plant is definitely GONE!

I did manage to get a couple of small branches from one of the babies that has grown.

I just laid them on top of some moist soil mix and sprinkled the tiny babies on the top as well.

They are so much FUN!

Soon, I will post pics of two more varieties that I picked up at the flea market this morning.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann. Mine actually bloomed for the first time this year. As far as I know the mother was still alive last time I looked. But I have little babies growing in several other pots where the plantlets have fallen. I also got another variety from one of my patients. It has much wider leaves. They are interesting plants aren't they?
    tennessee sue

They are FUN, aren't they, Sue?

I can see where they might become invasive if care is not taken, though. These will definitely NOT go in my greenhouse!!!!!!!!!

The attached picture was taken earlier this week. I am showing then and now so you can see what happens in just one week of being in my 'propagating' room.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

After one week (well, more like 5 days)...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The third kind...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread