FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nun's Orchid

Closer...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    All that for $10 ! You struk gold ! They are gorgeous !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

SHHHHH! Don't tell them that! I would have paid a lot more because I knew how gorgeous they are!

Yummy! They are fantastic. Now, I will see how long the blooms last!

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

It is just outstanding! I can not believe how fortunate you were to get t his orchid and for so little money!

If the blooms are as heavy and waxy as they look in the photos, each bloom should last a good while and I'll bet you will get to enjoy this lovely addition for a very long time, perhaps a couple of months! Keep us posted and, of course supplied with images as more blooms open!

Rebecca

PS

I am sooo jealous!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I am jealous, TOO!

This is one plant that I have wanted for a very long, long time!

Thanks!

I'll keep you posted on the pics.

Thanks!

Ann
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh! Ann I am so happy for you it is just so so beautiful and well worth the wait whilst it was developing.

To think you are going to have this beautiful splendour for two whole months. MAGNIFICENT

Abby

Guess what!

I see a couple of elongated seed pods. Could it really be?

I should be trying to self more of the blooms, shouldn't I?

I think so.

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow when it is not raining...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I love seed pods - You are so lucky Ann, you have this magic plant, flowers and now PODS.

How exciting!!!

Abby

For you, Abby!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

AMAZING!!!!

Did you self it or did God do it??

Abby

God did it!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well seeing he has shown you the way - you better do some more Heh!Heh!

Abby

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I really hate to throw cold water on all of your excitement, but I wouldn't make any selfings on the Nun's Orchid. It takes 9+ months for the pods to ripen and then you have to pick them BEFORE they split and send them to a orchid lab to be grown. You can't just sow these seeds on potting mix, they have to be sown under completely sterile conditions and on a formulated agar.

I wish orchids could be home grown from seed, but they ae a very primitive seed w/o any stored nutrients. That single pod will contain over a million seeds. In their native environment many pods are set on these wonderful plants and most will ripen, split and cast their seeds to the wind, billions of them. Only a few will land on a spot with all of the micro-nutrients and necessary fungi and mosses that will support their growth and of these few, only a few others will make it to maturity.

You might contact your local botanical garden and see if they would be interested in the pod or you might try the Marie Shelby Botanical Gardens in FL, they are the official AOS botanical garden and in charge of fostering all of the species orchids. However, since the Nun's Orchid is quite common they may have all they need both for their collection and for other divisions of the AOS that do research as well as for their local plant sales.

I know, I am being rather a cold blanket about this exciting discovery, but it might be better for the plant if you simply nipped off and other spent blooms as well as current pods and not allowed the plant to go to seed. Sorry to be such a spoil sport.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

Have no fear! I realize all of what you are saying from the research I did last year on the other hardy orchid that produced a seed pod.

I just think it is cool that this one is actually producing pods, and I get to see what they look like!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    It would be so wonderful if orchid seeds didn't have to rely on the symbiotic relationship they have with certain fungi, bacteria and mosses for their existance. But then they probably wouldn't be as interesting and exciting a genus of plants that they are.

I knew I was basically "Preaching to the Choir", so my post was more for the benefit or others who are not as familiar with orchid culture or with growing them from seed. We do have a lot of "guests" reading these pages!

Nine months s a long time to wait for a seed pod to ripen, yet I have waited as long for pods to ripen on my Clivia Lily! My miniata bloomed last summer and the pods are just now starting to ripen, they are turning red-orange, but are still awhile away from being ready to harvest! Fortunately they yield a large, complete seed and can either be stored in the frige after a few days of drying or planted right away. I won't be keeping any of these seeds, I have plenty of other seedlings to take care of right now! And that's just clivia seedlings!!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2