+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First signs of spring!

First signs of spring!

Spring comes early in Austin, TX and I am delighted to see the very first signs of it. New growth is popping out at the base of my perennials, but no dormant buds have yet to break. We have had above average winter with our lowest temps in the mid 20's and no ice storms so far but it's not safe here until mid March. I am getting spring gardening fever BIG TIME!
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Me TOO!

At least, for now, paperwhites are blooming and I see some daffodils that look like they will be opening soon.

We had one really bad freeze that dipped to the lower 20s which is very unusual. It's going to get up to 70 degrees for the next couple of days (with cool mornings).

Our average last frost is March 15, but I do not consider it safe until after April 1st because with my luck, there will be a really late frost/freeze.

Just think... That is only 4-6 weeks from now. I feel for our northern friends who have to wait much, much longer, but at least we will be able to provide them with pics to remind them that spring is on its way.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I noticed my potted(outdoors) Lycoris sending up leaves !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I have lovely little spikes of green from my bulbs starting to come up. I just hope they don't get bitten back like last year. The surprise lily I planted last year has already came up and gotten bit back. I hope it survives. And my primroses are looking better now than since I planted them. I am hoping for a good show from them as they are a favorite of mine. And of course most are yellow. ( I think you all know yellow is my favorite color)
    tennessee sue

Tulip trees...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Azaleas, just a few early ones starting to bloom and look carefully, a bumble bee!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Azaleas...sigh....did I ever mention that my parents had lovely Azaleas growing all along the front of the house on Long Island, New YorK(not where you might think azaleas would floursih) !(I can't find the exclamation point on my keyboard and I don;t have my glasses on so I hope that thing over the number 1 was one).

Pretty photos . Thnx.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread