+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difficult to transplant seeds

Threaded View

Difficult to transplant seeds

I have quite a few poppy seeds, annual and perennial. Also
    some other seeds that resent transplanting, can't think of who right at the moment, but I know I do have some.
    I'm going to 'winter sow' them by:

going outside and pick my spot, brush away the snow, sow, recover with snow and wait till spring.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Hi Vickie,

Hi from SE Michigan.

I believe winter sowing would benefit if the seed needs stratification (the cold period). If the seeds don't need that, it doesn't matter whether you winter sow or you sow them in the spring. In fact, it is probably safer if you wait until we pass the frost date so that the plant won't get killed by a frost, for example.

Well, I guess I should say that it does make some difference to put the seed in the closed container as in winter sowing, but it doesn't have to go out so early as in going through the snow.
    Dave

Vicki,
    I had read somewhere to plant poppy seed to just sow them on top of the snow. I just dropped mine down on the ground the other day as we didn't have snow when I found them (and hope we don't). We did have lots of rain today. And I cannot believe we are supposed to be 70 tomorrow. A tease for spring I guess.
    As far as the seeds go I am a lot warmer zone than you but read and see what you find.
    tennessee sue

Hi,
    As I will be going back to work for the season at our local greenhouse in a week or so. I need to get these done. They will be in a semi-protected area.
    I've wintersown for the last several years, and had success.
    But I've not done poppies or butterfly weeds and they have deep tap roots and hate to be transplanted. Also baptisa austrailius (sp?) and a few other perennials, that I have.
    I was also thinking about using deeper cell packs in dry cleaner bags, or maybe 4" pots in a flat. So as not to have to prick them out.
    They sprout in their little houses, when it's time for them.
    I like the deli chicken carry out containers.

I know people on my other group that are from SE MI. By Marine city, & China.

Surprised how resilient self sowing annuals are too.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread