+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are We Planting NOW?

Threaded View

What are We Planting NOW?

Years ago, I always started perennials in August. That way they were ready for overwintering outdoors during the winter, but now that I am teaching, August is probably my most hectic time of the year.

So, today, I picked up a box of seed packages, and I pondered... I have 6-8 more weeks of winter. There are very few seedlings left under my lights. What should I start NOW?

Something slow to start, something more difficult, something that requires a little more time...

OH! The brugs seeds? The ones that I harvested perhaps a little too early due to that very hard freeze? Yep! I prepared warm water to soak those for 24 hours.

Double White Lady Datura... Yep! Only a few seeds of those, but they are now soaking.

Double Golen Quen Datura, soaking...

Double Blackcurrant Swirl Datura, soaking...

I am still studying all those packages of collected seeds, trying to decide what else to start.

It is very cold, wet and raining outside!

I think it is called the 'Winter Gardener's Blues'!

What are you sowing now, winter sowing or under lights?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    When I lived in the other house, I had a bedroom with a south facing window and it was great for seed starting. Now my available window faces East and is downstairs where it is much cooler--prime conditions for mold and damping off disease ! So, I try to start seeds outdoors now. I wish I could start them inside.
    I do cold stratify in the fridge.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    I have been giving serious thought to starting a few daylily seeds early, mainly seeds other dabbers have sent plus 4 or so of my own crosses plus any seeds I find that have sprouted in the fridge. Might just put them all together in one pot and figure out who the are when they bloom or just give the seedlings away when thy are big enough to travel. I think I might try a few more Hosta seeds as well, they grow so slowly anyway. Too soon to do any annuals and then that would probably only be coleus and snapdragons or some other odd ball I might have in the fridge. Don't know where /what to do with a bunch of them though!

I need to read up on starting rose seeds, still in air dried hips and just recently put in the fridge. I do have some hardy hibiscus seeds I could plant, might even get bloom this season, if I'm really lucky. Found some trumpet lily seeds in the freezer, so I might try them too.

I've got the need to grow something from seed. Heaven already knows I have enough other plants down in the basement growing already!

Need potting soil and pots (those I can bring in from outside, the mix has to be bought).

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I have the itch to but right noe no place for seedlings. Need to rearrange some.
    I did go out yesterday and sow some red poppy seeds that I had. I hope they come up. They are so pretty and right by the hummingbird feeder so that should make them happy.
    I wasn't able to collect many seeds last year after i hurt my back but I do have some of Rebecca's coleus seeds that I want to start early. Need to get downstairs and do some rearranging soon.
    tennessee sue

I definitely have no room to start seedlings indoors. But, I did get 16 little greenhouse's made. Now I just need some seed starting mix, tomorrow's mission.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread