+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orchid advice needed

Blog Entries

Orchid advice needed

Here is my new Cymbidium that I talked about in the Landspro forum under Free Coupons. Two photos: #1 is one side of the pot & #2 is the side with the dried/removed top growth.
    It was sold as being 'distressed'. What happened is they placed it under where the hot air blows into the greenhouse area. So, half the plant baked. It appears that they cut the dried parts down to the surface.
    So, do I just leave it alone and see what develops over time ?
    It still has its flower stalk on it. The soil was way dry and I watered it with Miracle Gro and Super Thrive mixed into distilled water(I read that tap water has salts). It is now in a cooler location.
    Frankly, I have no idea what a back bulb is but read about how inportant they are to include when transplanting and for flowering next year. I don't want to jump the gun and assume it needs repotting. Maybe a nice rest away from the hot blower would do it good. But, my real concern is 'can that dried growth cause mold/fungus rotting issues' or can it just be left without worry.
    Any recommendations on what to do next are welcome !
    Thanks !
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    the other side(circled dried growth)
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    here is the entire plant
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    First off, put this puppy in the window where it can stay cooler and get some really good light. Continue to use Superthrive - just a drop or two - every time you water, No more fertilizer though! and then just leave it alone. It will probably need to be moved into a slightly bigger pot come spring, but you don't want to be messing with it now. Let it finish blooming and then let it rest (less water, even cooler temps if you can) and do your homework on the AOS homepage/site for Cyms. This one wil be able to go outside and it will be able to take a lot of light, even some direct sun - I can't remember how much, so do read up! And it will need the much cooler fall days/nights to initiate buds for next winter's bloom, just protect from frost/freeze, (more reading for min. temps).

Don't be surprised if new growth doesn't come from those "back bulbs" (those are what those growths are called that you have circled), either now or in the spring.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Thank you very much for the information Rebecca !
    I really like that this one can go outside and that it likes lower temps(even needs 'em to initiate flowering). Could be my kinda orchid. I will probably move it downstairs where it is cooler. I wanted to do it in steps as at Lowes it must have been 90 in there !

+ Reply to Thread