+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low lows

Blog Entries

Low lows

I was just reading the previous thread...Vicki, tell us the weather now LOL! I'll bet it's a tad bit colder.
    Here in Do-Dah, Wichita, Kansas, our lows are dipping way down. We are in the low teens and 10,11,12. With wind chill, yes, we are where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain , it gets much lower--single digits. This morning the temp was 18 with wind chill of 5.
    I can't keep the bird feeder full ! I fill it half way, a quarter of the way--no matter , it is empty in less than an hour. I keep wondering if it's the same birds. Of course, if it were, I'd think they would be recognizable as the round feathery balls that cannot fly ! LOL! I might put out suet as I have a suet holder but in the past it has not been popular.
    Anyway, these temps are predicted to hang around-- at least the low lows. Highs could be in the twenties maybe even 30's.
    I am all for killing the bad bugs and giving plants their chill hours as long as there is no late freeze.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,
    We are having the same lovely weather.LOL I filled my feeder Fri. before it got too cold and refilled the suet feeder. I have lots of birds that love the suet. There is a little wren that comes to it,she is so cute. The tufted titmose like it too. The reson I buy it is the woodpeckers I have. I have 2 big redheaded woodies that like to eat it and several downy woodpeckers. They fascinate me and the cats too when they see them at the feeder. They are so big ansd pretty.
    I hope everyone is staying warm. That late cold spell last year has us all spooked about it happening again. Maybe it will stay cold now and when spring comes it will stay. I can't wait.
    tennessee sue

The last two nights, we have had temperatures drop below 25 degrees, and the temps did not get above freezing until after 10am yesterday. It looks like it is going to take that long again today.

Brrrrrrrr.....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    How are your plants doing ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

On the porch and patio, all seem be okay. I haven't been out to the greenhouse to check on them this morning. I'll do that when it warms up a little more.

I have been primarily worried about having enough fuel for the kerosene heater and propane heater.

As far as the plants in the gardens, they should be okay. One never knows, though. Surely, when the sub-tropicals start sprouting in the spring, I will have a better idea if anything was lost.

One day of hard freeze is usually okay, but two days in a row of this cold and for so many hours, I am concerned that a few may not make it.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Everything in protected areas looks just fine. I am still a little concerned about some of the garden amaryllis that have their necks exposed. They look firm and peeling back the outer skin, they still look green.

However, there is frozen water (1" thick ice), so it is too soon to tell if they were frozen.

H. X Johnsonii have very, very long necks, and they are planted very deep as I found them in Texas, so I feel sure they are fine.

I have plenty of the 'garden' amaryllis, so I am not too worried about them, but it would be nice to know that they can manage to thrive during these extended low temps.

We will see!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We've managed to make it to the lower single temps here for a few nights now. It is snowing again today, lake effect. We could get 3-7 inches before it quits. A nice gentle snow now, but earlier it was snowing really hard. We have about 6 or 7 inches on the ground. It is really pretty, but brrrrrrr. ..... .

We've managed to miss out on alot of snow. It goes north or south of us. Hey, I'm not complaining, there is still plenty to ride snowmobiles and go sledding.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Hey! Snow would make this cold worth while! At least, I feel that way because I rarely see it.

The ice has thawed. My garden amaryllis appear to be fine. Isn't it amazing that some of these varieties are reluctant to freeze? It was certainly cold enough for them to become frozen and mush, but they didn't.

I suppose this is the reason that they are referred to as GARDEN AMARYLLIS.

I am in AWE!

Not only that, but a there are quite a few daylilies that have green, green, green leaves. There is a tinge of yellow on the tips, but other than than, they are still very green.

Hunter did a NO-NO! He lit a firecracker and threw it across the front lawn. The grass is dead and dry and caught on fire. Neighbors came running to assist in stomping it down, so no more firecrackers for awhile.

Oh, well... The grass will come back greener than ever in the spring!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread