+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free plant coupon.

Free plant coupon.

John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

Oh! WOW!

Thank you, John for passing that along...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

LOWES COUPON / HOME DEPOT COUPON

As you might have read on the Lowes coupon, Lowes is in partnership with some sort of internet garden entity. I joined that entity and discovered the following. Needless to say I posted a reply asking how a promotion could just end before the coupon expiration date. I am not impressed with the internet entity. I am off to Home Depot, I trust that one more because when I go to their internet partner, mention of it appears on their home page. However, do note that at least one person wrote that Home Depot was requiring a color print out of the coupon(which does sound silly since there are color and B&W printers-B&W doesn't mean it was xeroxed which is probably the objection. Better to phone the store in advance of going there and ask(and get the name of the person who says either way is OK-if they say that).

Per Lowes partner: (See update below)
    The houseplant coupon promotion with our partner Lowe's has ended. The positive thing about our partnerships is that many more promotional offers will be coming in the near future!

I am bound and determined to get my HD orchid--I have a color coupon print out--will report back upon return from the mission(ETD: Saturday!). (Cue the Mission Impossible theme!)
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

UPDATE: LOWES COUPON STILL OK 2 USE

Here is the reply from Lowes partner:

First, let me apologize for not listing my position with 'Lowes garden partner' **- I'm the Director of Community Content. So it is my responsibility to monitor the Forums and try to provide the best information I can to our members and visitors.

'Lowes garden partner' is an independent company with many advertisers and partners, including a very strong partnership with Lowe's. Lowe's offered a limited-time coupon of $10 off of houseplant purchases at their stores on the 'Lowes garden partner' site. That promotional offer has ended on our site. However, I have been told that Lowe's will honor the promotional coupons until Jan 31 at any of their stores (provided there is an accompanying purchase of a houseplant).

'Lowes garden partner' always endeavors to provide the most accurate information possible and maintains the highest standards of honesty and integrity. You have our word on that.
    Thank you for registering with 'Lowes garden partner'.
    Mark Miller, Director of Community Content

**I edited their name as I have no compelling reason to promote them at Landspro's expense.

Blog Entries

THANK YOU JOHN !!!!!!!

Mission accomplished !
    I went to Lowes and got way more than expected.
    First off, they have very nice house plants for under $4; large ones(10" pots) for around $8. Now recall the coupon required a plant priced at $10 plus. They had bigger versions of the 10" potted ones for $19. Then they had bromeliads--but I can get those from Mom. A desert rose caught my eye, but then I saw orchids. They were pricey for the small ones with blooms--you pay for the blooms. But lo and behold...the beloved 'Discount Rack' shown like a beacon in the distance. And what was on the rack ? Dying plants to be sure--poor babies priced at $3--tsk, tsk. But way up on the top shelf wre two huge orchids. They had been $35 and were marked 'distressed' and priced at $15. WITH THE $10 off COUPON IT WOULD BE $5! I pulled both down and placed on a table for further inspection. There was one still over on the regular rack at $35 and went over to compare. That's when I felt the blast of hot air. The lady working there told me that she was sure that's what got at these two. I saw dead portions and she said they were not that way when they came in. The soil is dry like the desert. But, I saw new growth and existing growth. She and I both chose the same one of the two.
    I went to the registers and , because of the coupon, chose one with a male cashier(sorry ladies but males are less likely to ask questions and feel the urge to investigate; teenagers come in a close second). He took the coupon and did call over the floor super(a teenage girl ) for a quick consult on which line to enter the coupon number on in the computer--but NO problems with the coupon itself !
    Bundling it up against the cold was a real hassle. They do not have big bags and do not have paper or anything to protect plants. I taped bags on it as best possible, drove my car to the door and sacrificed my winter jacket to wrap around it(which did NOT work well at all). But I just read : "Cymbidiums can tolerate considerable summer heart and winter chill. Lows of 29 degrees F and highs up to 100 degrees can be handled for short periods. Plant foliage usually will not freeze at 27 degrees if the weather includes some moisture and air movement. Flower spikes which are soft and tender will suffer damage if exposed.

And without any further ado, please meet my $35 Cymbidium orchid that I got for $5 after the coupon.
    THANK YOU JOHN !!!!!!
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries

Closeup of its bloom

Attached Images  

Oh, Shucks!

I really wanted to go to Lowes and HD this morning, but yesterday, I had a rare headache. Today, I found out why....

My skin feels like it is glowing, and sure enough I have a fever. That is one very bad part about being a teacher. All these sick kids come to school and you have to handle their papers to grade them.

Sooner or later, it catches up with you.

Hopefully, I will make it to the store before the coupons expire. There are a couple of Hoya's that I would like to have. Definitely within the price range...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Sure hope you are feeling better!

Proud Cym Mom, I saw the other images before I came to this post and to be honest I don't think the blower damaged any part of that orchid PLANT, but I will say it sure did shorten the life span of those blooms! The "back bulbs" you had circled on the other image looked very normal to me, but that bloom scape is so obviously heat damaged! Cym blooms will remain near perfect for a month or longer on the plants and what I can see in this image doesn't look like normal aging. Too bad you couldn't have rescued all 3 of those Cyms!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Rebecca- I went back tonight looking for the Cym's discount brother but I'm apparently not the only one who can spot a good thing. Although, if they didn't have a coupon, they paid $15 not $5 ! The third Cym is still $35 and still under the blower. It has a large flowering. Part of the flowering is looking bad but 3/4 is still good(particularly in retail store terms). It will be awhile before it ends up on the discount rack. The store can be on my way home if I adjust my route. Maybe I will check every other day.
    There was a pathetic Phal for $5 on the discount rack. Too pathetic for me and/or for $5--maybe $1 and I'd buy it. I did look at their $14.97 4 inch pot Phals($4.97 with coupon) but didn't like the fake spagnum moss on top and when I dug it off saw shrivelled and withering roots. On one a fly flew out ! I said,
    "uh- uh, no-no" after the fly flew out !
    It's probably for the best as I can give better attention to the one I have.

Blog Entries
    Especially since Cyms and Phals have such totally different requirements!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    The Lowes coupon is now expired. I missed the date and missed getting Cym brother. Oh well, I got one beautiful giant Cym ! Thank you !

+ Reply to Thread