+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Antsy for Spring

Blog Entries

Getting Antsy for Spring

I am definitely getting antsy for spring. I planted the remainder of my spring bulbs last Sunday during a warm up(62 degrees). Now, I am ordering plants that I really don't need ! Western Bleeding Heart, Lily of the Valley and Hellebore. I was also oogling the canna website. I have found my seed inventory list and started reading it over. Of course, it is not spring though we have days that hint of spring. Tomorrow I am going to satisfy my need for color and beauty by going to a quilt exhibition, Art of the Needle, at the Art Museum. It is a travelling exhibition from the Shelburne museum in Vermont that I saw at the art museum in Palm Beach. I paid $10 there and it's free here(free admission on Saturday). The quilts are antique--18th, 19th and early 20th century. I was so intrigued by them that I tracked down and bought the book with photos and backstories about the quilts(Art of the Needle).
    Do take a look at quilt slides 1-7 on this link. I find so much amazing .
    http://www.shelburnemuseum.org/colle...etail.php?id=9
    For example, slide 6 is early 20th century Mennonite. Look at that vivid color and geometry. I just don't associate that with Mennonite(similar to Amish). And, oh, those Mariner's compasses in slide 3 and the vivid color in slide 4(mid 1800's). Again, I really didn't know that such vivid color was used in those days. And I am amazed at the designs.
    No, I don't quilt !
    But it's the closest I can get to the variety of a beautiful garden(not mine) in winter !

http://www.shelburnemuseum.org/colle...etail.php?id=9
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, I don't quilt either but my Mom does. She will very interested to see this link. I love the Mariners Compass. I amdmire anyone that has that much patience and puts so much work into a quilt. I have two, one form each Grandmother that I prize highly.
    Thanks so much for sharing this article and pictures.
    tennessee sue

I especially like #3, the Mariner's Compass Quilt.

There is no way that I would sew by hand to quilt, but it's quite fun with a serger and using a rotary cutter and cutting board.

I'm getting antsy also, and I haven't had hardly any really cold whether yet. It's just the fact that so many things are dormant. The only blooms that I see right now are camellia (gotta get some more) and the newly acquired Amaryllis bulbs.

I know.... It's only two more months for me, then I can cheer you all up with more blooms!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Just got back from the Wichita Art museum. Even though I saw the quilts before, I managed to spend more than a hour looking. With quilts you have to look very closely or you might miss something. The stitching, the print on the pieces of fabric used, the embroidery, the writing: yes, they would write poems or sayings and their names/dates with some kind of ink(which of course is now very faded). One that I read probably sums up why many made these quilts, in ink was written: "Jeneleine Mikell Remember me 1850" 157 years later , I guess we are remembering Jeneleine from South Carolina!
    I was particularly taken by the crazy quilts--simply breathtaking , elegant and colorful.
    I wandered a bit through some of the rest of the museum and saw Mary Cassatt's famous Mother and Child. I also saw alot of CM Russell's western art.
    I will have to remember to check their website and visit again, especially with free admission on Saturday.
    When I got home there was my long awaited rebate for my allergy medicine--enough to pay for the plants that I just ordered. Cool !

Blog Entries
    LOL! Last night I went on-line and bought a book about crazy quilt stitches and motifs. Hubby asked me, “so, is this going to replace daylilies now?”
    My reply was no although I probably will concentrate more on what I have and growing out the seeds I have already, but I would have done that anyway. I’m just experimenting at this point—with the quilt stuff. The book is about stitches and that’s a good basic thing to do for now. I picked crazy quilts because they are so dog gone pretty---lots of black velvet sets off the gorgeous array of colorful ‘sew ons’ and I might just use daylilies ! Also, from what I read “there are no rules”; I like that !

Cathy,
    I know you have probably already looked but there are lots of quilt sites on the internet. I had Mom up here looking at them. I wil have to get some pictures for you of quilts I have from each grandmother and that Mom has made. When I find the battery charger for my camera that is.
    Good luck with your new hobby.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    That is so neat to have something that you can hold and enjoy looking at, knowing they spent hours with it when they were sewing it. And I am in awe of people who can work so diligently; saintly artists for certain. I'd love to see your photos when the opportunity arises for you.

+ Reply to Thread