+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Horrendous Wreck on I 4 today

Horrendous Wreck on I 4 today

This morning around 4:50 am smoke and fog combined to make the stretch of I 4 between Polk City and US 27 into a battle ground . A 50 vehicle pile up, 10 separate accidents, 6 semi tractor trailers burned down to the frames, 4 fatalities, 38 injured, 9 critically. . One of the injured was a member of the Polk County Sheriff's office SWAT team who was responding to the first reports of the accidents when his cruiser was rear ended, hit in the front and then hit in the side. Please check our local news paper for pictures and stories
    www.TheLedger.com
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Blog Entries
    I saw that on TV. The smoke was unbelievable(perhaps moreso from the fire after the incident); I don't understand why that stretch was not closed as the smoke condition was manmade and began yesterday I think. We occasionally have fog and I have seen people speeding by at 70 mph into the vapors. They certainly can't see where they are going. I lose my bearings as it is, so speed + fog is a bad combo. I'm not saying anyone was speeding in the Tampa case. I would say that the pre- existing smoke condition was bad enough ! How tragic for all involved.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Dazed,
    This did not happen in Tampa but in Polk County near Polk City on the North Eastern part of Polk County The smoke came from a forestry fire that got out of control. The Forestry people had permits for the burn. It was just impossible to tell if fog would develop. This morning here in Lakeland it wasn't to foggy when I went out on my morning crossing duty but the longer I was out there, the thicker the fog got until I couldn't even see the buildings that are on both sides of the road and a building at the curve in the road. The area where the accident was is in a shallow valley in a rural area of the county.

Blog Entries
    oops, thanks,I saw Tampa off to the left on the map and you know maps and distances ! I always have to go through explaining how Wichita didn't get the awful weather that surrounding areas might have because the distances are all scooched up on a map.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Dazed,
    I know what you mean:0 I always have to have printed directions with me when I go to my club meetings if we meet at another person's house instead of where we meet. Polk County is the county Lakeland is in and is the 5th largest county in the state of FL.
    The road remains closed between Polk City and US 27 today so that D.O.T. workers can repave the road that was damaged in the accident yesterday. It may be re-opened later today though.
    My son was in Orlando yesterday morning after dropping his girlfriend and son off at the airport so they could fly out to Ohio. He had planned to come over to Lakeland after dropping them off but got to feeling sleepy so he went to a motel and got a room so he could get a few hours of sleep since he had been up at 2:00 am to get her there on time. He called us to let us know he was not in that traffic. He came over to Lakeland about 11:00 am after taking the back road of US92.

Dawn,

Every morning, as I turn my car into the school, I wait for the crossing guard to motion to me that it is okay for me to turn, and I think of you. We have such dense fog many mornings, and I know your/her job is difficult on those mornings.

The problem of accidents is especially bad on our interstate where it crosses Mobile Bay. There have been major accidents with injuries/deaths, and cars back up terribly bad for many miles. Unfortunately, there is no easy route around this problem. People just do not want to slow down...

I am so glad that your son is safe!

P.S. Thank goodness for our crossing guards! They keep our children SAFE!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    I know exactly what you mean about the speeders. I know of one woman who drives a big SUV and comes through the school zone doing 45-50 mph. The other morning it was a little foggy here and two cars were in front of her, she got impatient and she went around both cars just as the cars got past the crossing area.She didn't have her lights on and the cars were begining to disappear into the fog. If I could give her a ticket, I would. Speeding tickets are doubled when speeding in a school zone. From 250.00 to 500.00 plus 10.00 for every mile over the posted limit.

Bummer!

I sure hope they train you well to get out of the way of an impeding wreck.

The lady should be arrested for wreckless driving and endangering the lives of others (especially school children)!

What can I say? I have no speeding tickets on my record. Once, they gave me a ticket for going 28 in a 25mph zone on the fist day of school. It wasn't even really a school zone. It was a setup. The judge saw that, reprimanded the officer, took it off my record and reimbursed me for court cost.

Please be safe, and thanks for keeping our children safe!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

When I see that SUV I do not go out in the road. I wait until she goes past the crossing before I cross any of the kids.

+ Reply to Thread