+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy New Year

Happy New Year

Welcome 2008 and I pray it is a better year for all of us and that the weather is "normal" this year so all our plants can flourish. May God bless all my friends at Landspro.
    tennessee sue

Happy New Year, Sue and All!

The New Year isn't starting out quite normal here. It's supposed to get down to 27 degrees tonight and 22 tomorrow night.

Everything is prepared with the exception of pinning down the plastic opening on the porch. The kerosene heater is ready to start on the porch. The propane heater is ready in the old gh which is already buckled shut (floodlights on). The electric heater is turned on high in the patio so that it will get a head start warming up.

I guess you could say that we are starting out the new year with a blast, a cold blast.

Wish me luck! I'm going to need it because I'm not really set up for 22 degrees...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

ANN, WE ARE SUPPOSED TO GET INTO THE TEENS THIS WEEK AND I THINK REBECCA IS GOING TO GET DOWN INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS TUES. OR WED. NIGHT. sHE WILL BE DOING GOOD TO HAVE HIGHS IN THE TWENTIES. i WISH IT WOULD HAVE STAYED COLD WHEN IT GOT COLD THE FIRST TIME. MY DAFFODILS ARE STARTING TO COME UP AND i NOTICED THAT THE NEW CRINUM I PLANTED THIS FALL IS ALSO UP. I SURE HOPE IT DOESN'T KILL IT, JUST MELTS IT TIL SPRING.
    STAY WARM.
    tennessee sue

Oh, Sue!

They have changed our forecast to be 25 in the morning, 19 the next morning, then 28....

Oh, Gee... Yes, I know that if it this cold here, it must be unbearable where you all are. Please do try to stay warm and safe!

My paperwhite are over 1 foot tall. Most of my daffodils are about a foot, and there are so many daylilies (including seedlings) that have not gone dormant. My crinum haven't completely gone dormant yet.

Unfortunately, I cannot possibly protect them all. I'll cover as many daylily seedlings as I can with blankets tomorrow night since it is going to be colder than I can remember in many years.

Oh! Everyone, please be SAFE!

It is time for me to start dripping water outside. Most of my faucets have freeze covers and I surely hope those work at 20 degrees. Tom, do you know? Or should I take those off and drip water tomorrow night?

Can you tell? I am not used to this at ALL....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    We've had some pretty cold weather here already this winter, and in times past. I only use those little foam covers and so far haven't had any trouble with any of the faucets freezing.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Thanks, Tom!

Tonight is going to be the real test. Forecasters are predicting 15, 19 or 20 degrees depending on which one is right. LAS! Who knows which one to believe!!!!

It did get down to at least 29, but I'm not sure how much lower. I checked during the real early morning hours and all was fine.

Then, I slept LATE!

The old gh was 75 degrees with the sun shining, so I shut off the lights and heat. Everything is in need of a sip of water. The low humidity of the cold front combined with heaters and lights tend to dry everything quickly.

I also shut off the kerosene heater on the porch, but the patio is barely 50 degrees, so I am letting that heater run a little longer.

It is 34 degrees right now and it will not get much higher than 40 today.

Winter has definitely struck the Gulf Coast!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread