+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Banana Photos

Banana Photos

I took these photos of bananas that are growing at my youngest son's place on the Big Pine Key. The Key Deer have eaten the young bananas before they have a chance to grow.
    Attached Images  
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Here are the young bananas before the deer got them.
    Attached Images  

Dawn, Thanks for posting that. I've never seen them forming like that. Fascinating. Ilove bananas. Hoe pretty that "bloom" is before the deer got t them. Can I assume they cannot reach the upper ones?
    tennessee sue

Sue , the upper bananas are beyond the reach of the deer even when they stand on their hind legs but the bud is within their reach so they eat the bananas that are still forming. I just thought some would like to see how bananas look before they reach the stores. This is a shot of the entire stalk of the bananas . The space between the bud and the green bananas show the reach of the deer.
    Attached Images  

Dawn,
    It is fascinating to see how they grow upside down. How yummy to be able to grow your own. I must say I never thought of bananas as having blooms but they are really quite beautiful aren't they? How big would you say that bloom is/ Has to be pretty big.
    tennessee sue

The bud is not too big, about 6 or 7 inches long and about 12-14 inches around. It is comprised of layers with the banana flowers under each red leaf. The tree will die after the bananas are finished blooming and a new plant comes up from the root to start the process all over again.

+ Reply to Thread