+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tree Roots

Tree Roots

In the process of digging a large flower bed .... have run into a lot of roots in one area ..... have cut and removed them as I go ( no danger to trees these are small roots and far from trees) .... will I have problems with them in the future and is there any way to stop them short of tearing up the entire yard?

Appreciate the help ... am new to all of this and still learning ... this board is great.

Thanks,

Jim

Tree roots

jimtx--you've run into one of the curses of gardening-the trees we love fighting with the other plants we love!
    I was reading something from a hosta expert who compared growing them under trees in straight forward style, and with protection from the tree roots. The results were apparently like twice as good when he eliminated the tree root competition.
    Here's what he did-
    He excavated the bed area in this root zone, then laid copper treated weedcloth (this is a common product in nursery use-Agroliner is one brand)with the copper treated side toward the tree roots (down). Then he filled back in the soil, along with humusy amendments ready to plant his hosta and other woodland stuff. The copper is the same as Spin-out that goes on pots to prevent rootcircling.
    Only thing is this sounds like a ton of work-all that digging! I hope our shade loving plants appreciate it--Glen in BC

Thanks, Glen!

Just a tip, though... If you want to buy spin-out lined pots, then you will need to find them and buy them very soon. The company that makes these pots has a huge distribution facility near here, and they are shutting down. This is according to local news and suppliers. My understanding that you will be able to buy the Spin-out by the gallon if you want to line your own pots.

For those of you that do not know about Spin-out, it is a really neat product that is made of a type of latex paint with copper in it. When the roots of the plant touch the side of the pot lined with Spin-out, the tips of the roots die, thus encouraging a more dense root structure without becoming root bound (encircling of roots). It does not usually hurt the plant, but allows the plant grower to keep the plant in a smaller size pot for a longer period of time without stunting the plant's growth. This reduces shipment costs as well as saves growing space.

Did I explain that correctly, Glen?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Spin out on pots

Ann--sounds like you know about spin out. It seems almost critical to use it, yet the landscape material I've seen around here never has it.
    Should we get some or not-hmmmmmm. If only an expert professional grower could tell us all their secrets!
    I've also heard that there are specially designed pots with indentations that discourage the root circling. Again, I don't see hardly any of these pots used in the landscaping stuff I've worked with (was just helping my landscaper buddy the other day).
    For that matter, it was interesting the poor quality of containerized material that was delivered to him, this was from a 30 year old nursery around here. Makes me think I might have a chance cracking into this old boys network around here after all.
    Good growing everybody--Glen in BC

+ Reply to Thread