+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12-22-07 snow in wichita kansas

Blog Entries

12-22-07 snow in wichita kansas

Here are some photos as of 11 AM 12-22-07. My camera batteries quit after the last pic
    Anyway we were predicted 1-4 inches with 50 mph winds. The wind is the problem as it is blowing the snow. We went grocery shopping and the roads have about 75 foot visibility and the sense of where the lanes are is decreasing. It's a good time to stay in the rest of the day !
    I took these photos from: 1) the front door--see my Christmas tree LOL! it is a Blue Spruce which is very difficult to grow here but it seems to be in a good spot for survival 2) out the patio door downstairs -I tried to aim for the pine trees to show the snow contrasted against them 3) down stairs again--a shot of the weeping mulberry tree in winter 4) from the downstairs bedroom window--interesting 'smudged' effect--I think the windows are clean LOL!
    Sorry I couldn't get more light into the pics.
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

out the patio door downstairs

I tried to aim for the pine trees to show the snow contrasted against them
    On one side of the stairs are fall planted rescue hydrangeas; on the other side are 2 bins with potted daylily seedlings and a lone pot of everlasting that I don't recall planting in the pot--probably a quick rescue. In front of the pine trees which you can't see, is my new garden spot with transplanted peonies, daffodils, catmint, clematis and ha-ha: frost hardy pansies--they apparently were not rabbit hardy LOL!
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries

a shot of the weeping mulberry tree in winter

a shot of the weeping mulberry tree in winter
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries

from the downstairs bedroom window

from the downstairs bedroom window--interesting 'smudged' effect
    Attached Images  

Oh, MY! Look at that gorgeous scenery! Thank you so much, Cathy! You know that I have rarely seen snow, and I adore the Blue Spruce.

It was supposed to get to 72 degrees here today, but it is definitely not going to make it. Right now, it is 58 degrees and quite damp outside.

We are supposed to get rain, followed by a cold front. Teenaged boys are running in and out of my home, finding all sorts of FUN things to do. Hunter just announced that I needed to look at our new flag pole. It seems that the neighbor told him to cut down as many bamboo as he wanted, so he cut down a big one, attached a Walmart bag at the top, then plunged it into the ground next to the fence.

I have to tell you that there are very few dull moments around here, and should I find one, I am usually asleep... I'll take a picture, if I get a chance.

Right now, I am potting up Amaryllis bulbs and trying to rearrange plants in the patio. I desperately needed some time off because I am surely behind, on everything.

Never, never a dull moment...

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cathy,
    My scenery looks much like yours. The wind was wicked
    here yesterday. We got maybe 4 or 5 inches, but it's all drifted up. It was horrible out, my cousin, who lives 10 miles north is without power and will be until the 29th!!!
    Take care and stay warm.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

No snow here, of course, so I thank you and will simply enjoy yours, if that is okay?!??!

It is cold now, though and then it is going to warm up again, only to get cold for New Year's.

I still do not have plastic on my porch and I have numerous tropicals out there. All is fine... Even the Christmas cactus is blooming out there.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Supposedly we are to have 3-6 inches Thursday night into Friday. Sounds like a good time to take my laptop home in case I need to work from home, but that can only happen if the snow is on the ground quite a bit and still coming down when I wake up !

We had insignificant flurries late morning through lunch and it might happen again tomorrow.

Tonight I noticed that my iris bed has become theshortest distance to and from the trash can and, , I do believe the trash can is being rolled over it as well--I just realized that this minute. I had better shovel the existing snow and make a proper path. My poor iris !

I am soo glad for the moisture. Last year it was dry and then we got hit with a late freeze. The combination was deadly and damaging for all trees, shrubs, plants. I would say that is how the deadly pine disease took hold here; it is, or was, spreading like wildfire. I hope this weather stopped it and makes existing pines(like my 3!) strong enough to withstand disease.

With all that snow, I still have to remember to water(slightly) my potted lilies in the garage.

Blog Entries
    Still no idea on how much snow is coming. The map says 3-6 and the weatherman(same source as the map) says 1-6. Big difference !

Blog Entries
    we only got about 2 inches and i am at work. LOL!

It is 73 degrees here right now, and there are some bad storms approaching.

I made the mistake of letting Hunter go with a friend and his family to the fireworks store. A few minutes later, I received a phone call from the emergency management system stating that we are under a tornado warning.

Now, I am worried... I called Hunter on his little cell phone, and told him to come home ASAP!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It is now 75 degrees, and I hear the thunder...

No snow for here, but some nasty weather ahead! It rained on and off all night...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    tornado warning ? be safe ! good thing you could reach Hunter

Yes! The fireworks store is simply a mobile home and NOT safe.

Hunter is home. The worst of the storm has past by, and I have 3 handsome young teenaged boys, in my garage sneaking out to shoot fireworks now and then...

Such smiling faces, a treat!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread