+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snow

Blog Entries

Snow

Well let's take bets on how right the forecast is ... anywhere from 2 to 7 inches by Saturday. Stay tuned. I am going to look for Hyacinth bulbs on the way home. LOL!
    Got a nice gift card from my boss today for a local garden center. He is so nice. My co-worker got Starbucks. It's so nice of him to recognize our interests. If the local dirt hauler had a gift card, I'd be happy with that as well !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Let's do take bets!

We're supposed to get anywhere from 3 to 6 to 12 inches of the white stuff starting after 12 noon tomorrow. Personally I don't even care how much we end up with, but that's only because I don't have to be out in it. I will have to get to the grocery, and hopefully I won't have to wait until Sunday to do that. Up to my neighbor/friend there. Going to have to buy the kitties some meat to cook (or not cook) since I don't have $$ for that this week. Time to call on the new Humane Society for some help.

You have the coolest Boss! Didn't he give you a garden shop gift cert. last year too? I would LOVE gift certificates for things like potting soil too! Especially since I will be using so much of it from now on (going to have to grow everything in pots and what's in pots will need to be moved on as they grow.) Oh man! Can you imagine getting gift certificates for pots too?! Or even someone just buying and shipping such items to you (in the spring) and getting a nice card telling you about it for Christmas! Now that would be so cool!

I've already given my daughter my "Wish List" and there wasn't a darned thing on it that was directly related to plants or gardening. Of course a new computer would be used for such things as recording info and chatting with other plant nuts. Not to worry, I am not holding my breath on getting that for Christmas! It'll probably be some cute glass type angel again. I love my angels, but I think I have enough of them now!

Get your rulers and yard sticks ready now, so we can measure the snow we get!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Re the bets...today my work group went to lunch courtesy of the group's director(I have 2 bosses--go figure). Anyway, on the way there, one of the women..named Rebecca was all excited about the snow and I said that the weatherman is an alarmist and we won't get more than 2 inches. She said I sounded like her husband and somehow that led to her saying she would make cookies if it is less than 4 inches and I have to bring Krispy Kreme donuts if it is more than 2 inches. You sound like you have the same weatherman --that is some range ! I agree that snow on the weekend is much less concerning than on a weekday; although Saturday morning is my shopping day.
    Yep, got a giftcard last year too.
    We did gift exchange at lunch where everyone gets a number, then you choose a gift and open it. The next person can choose a gift or take a previous person's gift and so on. The finch feeder was very popular but it couldn't move more than 3 times, so even though I was number 10(there was only 9 of us ?), I couldn't take it. Like last year I ended up with the gift that I bought(although last year I orchestrated doing that and gave an academy award performance expressing surprise at the Wal-Mart giftcard--no one else wanted it apparently and I got it ''back'). This time it was a $15 Starbucks gift card--not a place that I frequent but what the heck-- a latte here, a latte there. If I had known I was going to be the last gift picker I would have gotten a Wal-Mart or nursery gift card.
    OK, I'm digging out my ruler....

(and those hyacinth bulbs will have to wait til after the snow).

Blog Entries
    [SIZE=5]On the late report at 11:00 they were a bit more precise. 8 to 12 inches for my county and north to North East of me. More than that possible with the lake effect snows in the far northern part of the state. Up to 8 inches for the more central part of the state (Indianapolis) and farther south it will turn from snow to a mix of rain and snow and all that other fun stuff.

Luckily Boone County is on the edge of central and north central, and since we are down in a "bowl" we could go either way on the amount we get, but we won't miss out on the frigid temps. I kind of figure we'll go 2" +/- the 8" the central part of the state could get. Wind is only at 5mph and out of the East right now, so too early to go by that!

It's gonna be an interesting weekend.

It won't take long to use up that Starbuck's card! We're getting one here, just at the edge of town, complete with a little strip mall behind it. Location is one of the worst in the entire city for accessibility too. I honestly don't see this "venture" making it very long. I do see some horrific traffic jams when they first open though and wrecks to go with them. It's gonna be interesting.

Stay warm!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I can't believe we got more than 2 inches. The roads aren't bad;of course, residential streets are always the worst since they aren't plowed by the city. I dragged out the bird feeder,filled it and hung it. It took a few hours but the birds have found it.
    I'm glad that the snow will add moisture to the ground when it melts. I'm also glad that the low temps will kill some of the bad bugs. I hope that thrips and aphids are cut down this spring.
    Right now all pots and plants are blanketed with snow. This is when you look out the window and your mind races with plans for planting. Did I mention that we had a note on our door from some subcontractor for AT&T saying that we should call them so they can dig a "pit" in our yard. I'm serious, the word was "pit". Of course we did NOT call them--to please tear up our yard, destroy tree roots/trees, rip up the lawn, sprinkler system and fence and then leave-sure! I am going to ignore them. They can dig a pit outside of the fence. We were very careful to place our fence inside the easement. I just think that if you say 'yes, then you are stuck, but that they really can't force their way in (nor do I think I have easement inside my yard). We don't even use AT&T.
    The sun is trying to come out. I think the snow is done and if temps climb tomorrow, melting should start.

Blog Entries
    I don't know that ignoring that note is really such a good idea. I would call and ask for more details, a lot more details and just what the purpose of this "pit" and how long it will remain a "pit". Also ask about restitution for damaged/destroyed plants.

Sorry, Cathy, but I would have to know just, exactly, what this was all about.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

How frustrating...

Weather.com has been saying a low of 29 degrees for Monday morning for days now, while our local forecast said 34-35.

Now weather.com says 33 degrees and our local forecast says 30 degrees.

LAS! They can't seem to make up their mind.

There is new growth on so many deciduous plants. I hate to see that go away, but it looks like it will.

Who knows?

One thing for sure, though. There is NO snow in our forecast.

The little girl in me says that it would be worth the cold if we could get snow...

Hugs and stay warm!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I got 8"+of the white stuff. Blankets on all the plants now, which is good since it is getting down to the teens again tonight.

I do not like it this cold!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I do not like cold either, but I wouldn't mind it so bad if there was snow.

We simply get ice and frost...

And, as you know we are ignorant about these things. They just do not happen often enough.

For Hunter's sake, I would like to get 6 or more inches of snow. He was just a toddler when we had that much snow before, and now every day, he reminds me that he is now taller than me (at age 13 years).

Just a few more days until our Christmas break. It's a short one, but a welcomed one. I have so much to do, like getting the plastic on the porch (yuk), and lots of company, mostly family.

I am so very far behind on everything...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread