+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mild Winter?

Mild Winter?

Actually, looking at the averages, it appears to be more like a 'normal' winter. The ones like I used to know...

There has been a light frost the last few days, but wasn't bad, and I still have some subtropicals in bloom on the south side of the house.

No plastic on the back porch, yet, and all of the tropicals are fine with only overhead protection. I shut the patio door the last two nights as well as turned on one side of the flood lights in the old gh (and shut it tight).

I've been watching the forecast and dreaming... Wouldn't it be nice not to have that plastic on the porch for two more weeks?

I'm really enjoying this weather, but it simply gets dark TOO early!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

High of 80 degrees, so I had to turn on the a/c!

So far, so good, huh?

It's beginning to feel like the tropics, but I know this will not last long...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We have had some pretty cold weather but it is now in the mid fifties. The ggod part is we are getting rain! It rained some yesterday and has been rianing all day today. Rain forcast for every day this week. Yea, finally.
    tennessee sue

The season has been up and down here, but mostly up. Winter is really slow in getting to our part of the state. I have to admit that the little tree I'm about to show you is in the protected area under a large oak, but some of the others just starting losing their leaves last week. Theses maples have been outstanding for weeks this year.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Gorgeous!

I have a weakness for maples...

Thank you!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here is another lingering plant that is just now in decline after a wonderful flower show. It's called "Groundseltree", Baccharis halimifolia. It was at its peak around Thanksgiving (when these pictures were taken) but has now lingered on into what is normally winter.

Those of you who are not familiar with this plant, it is a native under story, evergreen. In this area it very well established, and each fall suddenly pops out as sort of a 'woods last fling'. The flowers are quite small (maybe 1/2" length) but each female plant is literally covered with them.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread