+ Reply to Thread

Thread: holiday cactus seed

holiday cactus seed

Im looking for seed of the holiday cactus(Thanksgiving,Christmas,Easter cactus). I found germination tips but have not been able to locate a seed source or individuals with seed. I chose the holiday cactus for a final project in my plant ID class. A small tray of cactus seedlings as well as a few unplanted seeds will finish of my presentation.
    Trent,
    Bakersfield Ca
    Sunset zone 8

Welcome to Landspro, Trent!

I have produced seed pods before. It is quite simple to do, but they take awhile to ripen. It's a fun process to watch the pods grow and then burst with so many tiny seeds.

I am sorrry, but I do not know of a source that sells them. I think this is primarily due to fact that they are so easy to propagate from cuttings.

Some of mine are in bloom now, and I am seriously contemplating hybridizing them, just to see what I can do (especially with the yellow one).

But, I am afraid that the timing will be off for your project....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

holiday cactus

Thank you Ann
    I have found that most breeding is now done overseas. The newly developed cultivar cuttings are then sent to the US and around the world for further wholesale propagation usually under license. I did find some very good pictures of developed seed and seed pods that I will be able to use for my power-point presentation. Ive also been crossing named varieties over the past several days and plan to germinate them in late spring or summer. If you do some crosses of your own I would be very interested.
    Trent,
    Bakersfield Ca
    Sunset zone 8

+ Reply to Thread