+ Reply to Thread

Thread: propagation container of choice?

propagation container of choice?

Hi all-Gary I'm spinning off from one of chrys's threads like you suggested-sometimes the topic morphs into quite a different question!

Actually it was Gary that mentioned not using undivided flats for propagation, and it struck me that this is worth considering. As I'm pulling plants out of the rooting flats these days, I notice how different root systems look quite tough (like arbs) or sometimes really delicate (esp. rhodos and kalmia). I see the choisya that I just potted up is really sad looking now, too. If I had rooted these in individual cells, I would not be having near the problem transplanting them now.

So any other thoughts on this? I started out thinking a flat of sand was the only way to go-now I'm considering cell packs and even jiffy strips for some of the trickier tree softwood cuttings, plus the different media that can happen when you work under cover instead of out in unprotected outdoor areas. A bit of peat added to sand sure lightens the weight of a flat, and perlite is lighter still. Really helps when using the thin plastic cells in a web tray, for e.g.

What's everybody planning on using this summer?--Glen in BC

rooting in 1 gal.

Things that are rooted in areas with lots of room could go right into a 1 gal, I see they do this in Florida with outdoor mist.

For me, the bottom heat cable is quite a limited area, so I'd want to cram quite a few cuttings in on it. Seems these rhodos don't want to root much for me until I warm their little bottoms--Glen in BC

root trainers

hi glen
    i bought some used root trainers early this spring .i am gonna make a 2x4 bed to contain them and the bed will be under mist.
    i will have to put some promix in each one first so the sand will not wash out.i just thought i would pass that info on to you glen.
    i may use them for carlesi viburnum compactum. and a few emerald green arbs .i will let you know how it goes later this year if they were a success.the viburnums dont like being disturbed
    while rooting for almost a year and a half. and this is one shrub i want to conquer. as far as perrennials i use a variety of plug trays .from 502's to 1203 cell packs . i dont limit myself on the size , i use them all .coneflower magnus goes in cell packs beacause they will bloom the same year and rudbeckia goldsterms , or monardo beebalm in plug trays because they wont bloom untill next year. so it really depends on the plant . goodluck ,SHepp

+ Reply to Thread