+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weatherman dreaming of snowflakes

Blog Entries

Weatherman dreaming of snowflakes

The weathermen here are just salivating over any hint of the first snowflake. "It" was supposed to be here at 3 PM and we would be engulfed in snowflakes, though non-accumulating, by 5 PM. Fat Chance !
    It is however waaay cold ! This morning is was 18 with 12 wind chill. As Mom would say, "winter drawers on!".
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Yuck! I hate snow but we could use the water so I won't complain too much when we get some although the almanac says we wlll have a dry winter. We did have some snow flurries a week or so ago when I was out with my Mom. Its okay if it doesn't stick.
    We have been in the 30's all day today after starting out the day yesterda in the 60's. It is going to get down to 22 tonight and a chance of rain later int he week. Hope it stays warm enough to just be rain.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I spoke too soon...2.5 inches LOL!
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

It has been years since I have seen snow; I love to look at it. One of the great things about early snows is the soil wetting ability. When you get a heavy snow before the ground freezes almost all the moisture goes into the ground right where it falls instead of running off. It is especially valuable on heavy soils, where it takes water so slowly.

We are currently 22" below normal rainfall for the year. This on the heals of last years 12" deficit, and the rest of the winter doesn't look very promising.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom,

Did you get any of the recent storms?

We had storms all night last Sunday night, and it was still raining when I left for school Monday morning. The news report said that we received somewhere between 2.5 to 3.5".

I don't know what our current shortage is, but it is a LOT!

They say that we are going to have a warmer winter. I don't mind our normal winters so much, but I truly would rather have warmer than the record lows.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    We got a bit over 2" on Sunday/Monday. Just enough to let my timed sprinklers in the potted plant area rest for a few days. There is more rain in the forecast, but we've been down that road before.
    I'll be installing drip irrigation during the winter months for the fruit trees and some shrubs. I was able to keep things from getting too awfully dry out there this year, but it was a lot of work. The timer will run up to 6 stations on 2 separate schedules so all I have to do is lay out the lines and size them and the drip heads.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom,

I truly need to install one. There has been a drought for the last five years, despite a few flooding rains. The long dry spells are not the typical here, so I am having to learn to deal with it. Sometimes, I do better than others. Switching from well water to city water didn't help, because I was simply not prepared for the difference. I sometimes wish I could just switch back to well water (shut off the city), and I would have more faucets (that were built into the house).

I keep telling myself that life will settle down, but it never seems to happen.

At least this year, we (down here) got a break from the hard freeze at Thanksgiving, and I am totally amazed that there are none in the next two week's forecasts.

I am grateful for that!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread