+ Reply to Thread

Thread: overwintering callas

Blog Entries

overwintering callas

I just read that callas should be dug and stored AFTER its foliage is 'frosted down'. I brought in my calla pots yesterday in advance of the frost. My plan is to unpot and store them. Now I know this sounds stupid..OR should I put them outside and let Mother Nature first 'frost down' their foliage ? Either way what do I do with any remaining foliage ?(snip it off?)
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Gradually withhold water and let the plant die back in a coll, dark (ened) spot. Once all the foliage has died back, trim it off, un-pot and store the corms/tuber in peat or wood shavings in a paper bag. Or alternately, just store them in the pot they are in, but give them a sprinkle every now and then so the corms/tubers don't shrivel up.. One the potting soil is dry you can probably paper bag them and then put them in a trash bag to maintain that little bit of moisture. Just don't forget about them. Treat them like you would an amaryllis bulb.

Sounds good anyway.

R
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Thanks ! I kinda thought it would be dopey to take a plant outside so it could freeze, but I really wasn't so sure.

Actually, it is not dopey!

It will work, and they do become dormant on the first frost.

These are very easy bulbs, if you let them dry out and just let them stay in your cool garage for the winter. You don't necessarilly have to unpot them. Like Rebecca says... Just let them be dry during their dormancy, and they will be fine.

I adore calla's, but I have difficulty growing them since the hurricanes took out my shade trees.

Still, I try...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thanks All !
    They haven't been frost bit, but are inside on the lower level of a wire rack, next to a window, where they get light but not direct or intense for any length of time. I wasn't really thinking 'light' was something I wanted and that's why they are on the lower level. I have not watered them since they came in and the soil is dry. I feel like a meanie as I watch some new green shoots popping up. "No water for you--go away green shoots"--now that's plain mean !
    Anyway, I guess I will shuttle them into the garage and sprinkle ever so rarely to avoid shriveling. Does that sound right ?

Oh, Cathy!

Calla are beautiful plants, even when not in bloom.

When they start pouting, give them a sip of water. Just keep doing this until you can figure out how much they are drinking.

If it does not get too cold in your garage and they have enough light, they may stay green all winter. They will most likely lose some of hte foliage, but not all (depending on warmth). I can't say for sure because most of mine were in the ground.

Most varieties seem to like it in the ground here (not all), but they definitely do not mind being dug up, stored dry over the winter and replanted.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I didn't even mention the Gerber daisies. I have two and they are happy. They will not go to the garage !

+ Reply to Thread