+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sprouting Daffodils

Blog Entries

Sprouting Daffodils

Is it normal for daffodils to sprout in November ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

No. Did you just plant them or are they an older planting? They usually need the cold weather before they sprout. If you just planted them that may be why. I usually wait til the ground is cold before i plant spring blooming bulbs. I have a pack I bought and some my Mom gave me. I'll probably plant them next week. They will just die down when it freezes and should come back u in spring. You might want to mulch them some after it gets cold just to be on the safe side.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I wanted to add that though not normal for established plantings of Daffs to sprout in November?end of October, it does happen, especially with the weather the way it's be for use more northern zones. They'll soon realize they goofed and will quit growing, but do mulch as Sue suggested as it will keep winter damage to a minimum.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    They were planted late last winter(I know, no wonder they are so confused). I am going to be moving them. I'll mulch the poor dears when I do. Thanks guys !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread