+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fall Chores

Blog Entries

Fall Chores

I moved this from Housplants.
    Sue wrote: Has everyone else got their plants in?

Thanks, I needed that...I think I will clean out my garage today so the potted liliums can go back in. I will however wait until the first freeze warning and do my usual running around taking them into the garage. It is very windy today so that would be a good chore. However, I must rototill a patch for my potted hydrangeas and I had really wanted to get daylilies into abother yet to be tilled patch. Sigh.

UPDATE: I didn't clean the garage but did till/create a bed for my hydrangeas and planted them.
    I also created a new bed for the daylilies though I think it will feature peonies and other flowers. Next I have to get up the nerve to divide some older peonies. The ones from Rebecca should be easier to move.

AND, it is pouring rain as I write. Glorious rain that I hope will make the grass seed grow ! Of course, it also illustrates my need to have the gutters cleaned out as I watch waterfalls cascading from the gutters to the ground. As Roseanne Roseannadanna says, " It's always something."
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

OH!

Rain! I am so proud for you! We should get some in a few days, but I will not complain about lack of it. We had a cold front, and that has been nice.

I am determined to prepare my plants and patio/porch/greenhouse earlier this year, and not have that last minute panic of putting on plastic and hauling everything inside at the last minute.

AND, I am fortunate to still have some time to plant things in the ground. Now, if I could only find that time, and the energy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Well, now Iím going to complain about the rain ! I tilled my new jumbo bed on Saturday. It poured Sunday night and this morning. Saturday should be nice but there could be more rain b4 and definitely after. And, temps are edging down !
    Iím thinking, great, I wonít get to plant in this new bed because it will be mud !
    At the very least I have to get the peonies in, everything else can be planted in spring. But even peonies donít want to be planted in mud.

60% rain chance yesterday, and 60% chance today, but NADA! None!

That's okay... I do the best that I can!

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I've got all my potted plants in the front all together ready for winter. Just need to get some pine needles to go on them. I have some seedlings in the back that will either come to the front or bundled together in the back depending on if I feel able to move them all. Have a sheltered place to put the flats of smaller pots. I'll try to move them tomorrow.
    Another record breaking temp today 84. Still no rain. We do have a 60% chance tomorrow so I am praying we get rain all day. I have been having to water at least every other day just to keep everything alive. We are now more than 50% behind on rainfall. Leaves are not really turning, just dying and falling off. Creeks and ponds are dried up. There is a burning ban and there have been several fires in our area. for the first time in my life I am praying for a wet winter.
    tennessee sue

We had some rain today. I can't tell you how much, but I do know that it was raining when I left school this evening.

This morning, the tornado alarm was sounding, and all of the students were being directed to hallways of the school. Since it was before school, the students were crowded in the hallways.

My school did a superb job of keeping the students inside. Thankfully, it was just a watch and should not have been a warning.

The day went fairly smoothy after that...

OH! There was an incident at the church next door. Something about a boy hanging from a tree. All I know is that the boy is alive and was transported via helicopter to the hospital.

This was so sad. We watched the youth gathering at the church while we were working on our Robot. Apparently, this happened after we completed our robotics activities for the day...

Quite an eventful day, and I must tell you that although I do not like driving in heavy rain, I did not mind doing so this evening. We needed the rain!

Sue, I surely hope that you received yours!

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Well, that was some unusual day Ann ! Good thing tomorrow is Friday. It is supposed to be 81 here on Saturday. If the soil passes the 'not mud' test, I might get the peonies divied and planted. We are at the weather roller coaster stage of Autumn !

Ann. I am glad for you that you got rain. We barely got enough to wet the porch. And they have lowered the chance for more rain to 20% instead of 60%. ANd only 20 % tomorrow. I guess I will water in the morning. The almanac I have doesn't show any change in the dry pattern through the end of the year. Getting rough here. Leaves not changing just dying and falling off.
    tennessee sue

We have been told to expect a dry winter. I suspect that this will be the case...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

OH!

I think it rained all night last night. The ground was soggy, and it felt like I was walking on a sponge. NICE, for a change! That is a lot better than hearing the "crunch, crunch" of dead grass, isn't it?

I do not know how much rain we received, but it doesn't matter. As long as we got it!

Sue, did you manage to get any?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Texas is dry as a bone!

Would you believe that after record rainfall amounts in spring and early summer that we are in a prolonged dry spell now. Humidity is very low, temperatures are cooling a bit like they should in fall, but rainfall is sorely needed! Lake levels are holding their own, it's just that the other plants and trees are toughing it out right now. We need rain in Texas even though we've exceeded our average annual rainfall by 10" already. It is beautiful weather for working in the garden these days in Austin, temperature and humidity wise.

I am hoping and praying that the folks in the southeast get some heavy rains soon - the reports on the news look pretty bad.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

The storms died down before they got to me. We might have got 1/10 an inch. I think the worst of it went north as Rebecca got a pretty nasty storm and a lot of rain. I am going to have to water tomorrow. We don't have any more rain forecast til Monday and then 40% chance if it stays in the forecast. The temps have been nice though. Warm in the day and cool at night. Still above record daytime temps. Just need rain badly. We are now 50% behind on rain for the year.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    All the rain we've had this week comes close to making up for all the rain we didn't get this summer. The plants have been taking advantage of this unseasonably warm temps and the rains by putting on some new growth, both above and below soil level. The daylilies have truly enjoyed the water and I hope they are filling their storage tubers so they can be ready for the dry period that is sure to follow.

That's how it's been all year, periods of good rain fall followed by anywhere from a few weeks to several months with no rain fall. It was not a good growing season for anyone and many crops that weren't killed by the late and prolonged cold spell in early spring succumbed to the drought of summer.

It has truly been a year of feast or famine and in more ways than rainfall. Fields of meadow grasses that would have been turned into hay to feed cattle and other farm animals wasn't mowed since it didn't get to the point that it could be. In turn, both beef and dairy cattle and pigs were sent to market early. This may have glutted the market and gave lower prices to the consumer, but also lower prices to the farmers/ranchers. The reduction of dairy heard also means the reduction in availability of dairy products and higher prices to the consumer, but not necessarily higher prices to the dairymen.

It is amazing how much is really dependent on rainfall. It certainly goes way beyond our little gardens.

I don't know what winter will be like, I can only hope it isn't extreme. The plants I grow, both in the ground and in pots will either survive or they won't and those that don't just weren't meant to survive in the first place, not in this "zone" I've done what is humanly possible to insure the survival of plants around the house, those I can't reach with a hose are on their own and so far they have proven to be tough, hardy plants that can easily adapt to whatever nature throws at them.

I hope all y'all in drought stricken States soon get a reprieve and that you start to get the rains you so desperately need. Believe me, if I could send you someof what we are getting up north here, I would.

It's too bad the those who could do something about the cause of global warming that would make the world a better place aren't hit with the losses and costs the little guy endures, maybe if they felt it as severely as the rest of us did they would do what they should have been doing all along. Perhaps the common man needs to for a "Special Interest Group" and lobby the politicians. Our only power is in our votes. Use your power wisely.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rain and Tornadoes

It rained all day today, a light rain, but the storms have arrived and there are tornadoes warnings all around my school. Thankfully, we are all home and not at the school.

The ground is definitely soaked, and soggy wet.

It looks like tomorrow will be another wet and soggy day...

So much for working in the garden and starting to bring my plants inside, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread