+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Basement Light Garden

Blog Entries

Exclamation Basement Light Garden

I have an album set up on Photobucket with all the images taken so far plus a tight shot of my regal Gasteria. Here is the link for those interested:

BASEMENT LIGHT GARDEN

I use plain old shop lights with regular cool or warm white tubes, nothing fancy or expensive. O-kay, so there may be one thing that's slightly fancy, a survival blanket, which is nothing more that a sheet of Mylar used to reflect the light and some heat that I have around sections of the hanging plant shelf where I have my 4 orchids (such as they are) and my 2 favorite Hoya plants that fit. I also have one of those small "personal" fans in there to circulate the air and keep good air movement, essential for the Orchids.

I had not taken in the Tropical Hibiscus or the Lantana when I took these images. If I had you wouldn't have been able to see past the hibiscus.

All of the Amaryllis seedlings with the exception of the 2 community pots are on one 2 x 3.5 foot shelf and all the others plus the 2 community pots are on the longer shelf.

Each shelf and growing area have only 2 double tube fixtures and the one shelf that isn't lit and has no plants is reserved for starting seeds. It will have to have a third fixture if I do decide to start any seeds early, indoors. I'll also need to replace the burnt out tubes in the two fixtures already in place.

Since taking these images I have moved in the hibiscus and as soon as there is more than one or two blooms, I'll have to get a shot showing them. I have 2 that aren't close enough to the lights, bit there is no safe way to raise them up, and to many tall ones plus the adjacent shelves that depend on the present height of the lights to lower one end.

My Grandmother's Scheff. (Hawaiian Umbrella Tree) had to be set off by itself and is getting supplemental light from a fixture set on it's end and secured to a post behind the "bamboo" shade. The fixture only works on the one side so it works well for this application.

Yes, those are daylily seedlings you see on the end of the one shelf. Actually most are proliferations I didn't want to risk losing if left outside. they have not been potted long enough t have extensive root systems. There are a few "runt" seedlings that because of the cross I couldn't bare to destroy. I'll see if they don't make up their growth by having their "season" extended in this manner.

I could still use a couple more fixtures over the cabinet and I also still need to hang plastic on the door side of the cabinet to keep any cold air off the plants.

Enjoy the images!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca, It all looks so neat and organized. Mine isn't nearly so neat and i have a larger basement but not as many plants. As you already know I spent the whole day yesterday bringing in plants and I am hopeing I didn't miss anybody. The 38 we were supposed to have tonight with scattered frost (higher elavations) has been changed to 40, no mention of the dirty frost word. I love the gasteria and those little blue looking succulents really caught my eye. What are they?
    I also brought in some "puny" daylily seedlings from special crosses. I potted up about 60 that were big enough to stay outside for winter.
    I have 2 big planters of amaryllis sedlings from Ann and Cindee that are under lights now. Still working on geting all the lights set up and new bulbs in. But at least all the plants are safe from what ever comes. (I hope what ever comes our way brings some rain.) We have gone from Severe Drought to Exceptional Drought.
    Has everyone else got their plants in? It is still a couple of more weeks until out first frost date but with the weather being so strange this year who knows what might happen.
    tennessee sue

OH!!

Rebecca, I would love to have a basement!

I have a huge attic, but plants would not survive in the heat, and goodness knows what would happen if I watered them up there!

LAS!

You have done a wonderful job of organizing. I am envious, GREEN! But don't worry, I am mostly very proud of what you have done.

Great photos!

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Sue,

I have several that tend to be "blue-green", but I think you mean these two (where I have a duplicate image loaded):

I thought the tall one might be one of the Kancheloes (sp?), but the smaller one with the rosette growth and teeth is one
    of the several species of Aloe/Agave I have. I guess what I need to do next is to take "mug shots" of all the different types of plants I have, like 3 types of Burro's Tails!", now if I only had just 3 of them!

Thank you Ann, I worked very hard on getting the basement pulled together and re-organized. It isn't quite done yet, but the plants are inside that can be damaged the most by cold. I'd like to be able to have three fixtures over most of the shelves and have everything on a central timer. Additional lights may be possible, but the central timer isn't. I could have have more space for plants if I'd get rid of the junk and other stuff I have even seen in years as my side does go back another 8 to 10 feet! The biggest problem with this basement is the low ceilings. My Fiddle-leaf Fig wouldn't fit this year since it is now 7 feet tall or better! And 5' of it is just bare wood so I really don't know why I keep it, except that it is so tenacious and refuses to die even when I forget to water it most of the winter. How do you not keep a plant like that?!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Sue wrote: Has everyone else got their plants in?

Thanks, I needed that...I think I will clean out my garage today so the potted liliums can go back in. I will however wait until the first freeze warning and do my usual running around taking them into the garage. It is very windy today so that would be a good chore. However, I must rototill a patch for my potted hydrangeas and I had really wanted to get daylilies into abother yet to be tilled patch. Sigh.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for sharing the photos of your basement setup. I know this thread has been around for a while, but I am new (just one day old to the Forum).

I am wondering how long the lights have to be on each day? I have a basement and am interested in doing something similar.

Thanks!
    Dave

Hey, Rebecca!

I think you missed Dave's question, so I am bumping the thread...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread