+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4 years later: Not Ellen Bousanquet

Blog Entries

4 years later: Not Ellen Bousanquet

4 years ago I bought 5 Ellen Bousanquet crinum bulbs off of Ebay and had them sent to my mother in Florida. They were actually originating from another location in Florida. Well, it took years of nothing but leaves, thoughless weedwacking by the lawn service and finally today as I spoke with Mom, she reported: "You know those plants out front that never bloomed, well, they have the strangest flower on them." I confidently replied, "Oh, a raspberry red trumpet flower ?!". Mom said, "No, it's white, the center is the size of a 50 cent piece and it has strings coming off of it." What ?
    I immediately thought : Peruvian daffodil. Mom said that it didn't look like a daffodil. By then I had pulled it up on the internet and told her it is also called spider lily. She said that it did look like a spider. So, what happened to the crinums. LOL! Oh well, Peruvian daffodils are just as good. I do know that they are used frequently in median plantings in Florida.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Dazed -- You are most apt to be correct but, I can add some more. It is a Crinum as is "Ellen" but, if the 'spider' has reddish or marron coloring (a stripe) or the leaves are reddish it would be a Crinum procerum which some unknowledgeable might foist off as an 'Ellen'. I seriously doubt it is a "Queen Emma" as 1) they are native to Hawaii and the state does NOT like you taking them out. 2) a true Queen Emma is VERY expensive and 3) there are only 2 E-Bay Crinum dealers that might even have it and neither listed it last year and they are both in the same town and both are excellent. More than likely it is either Crinum Americrinum or Erubescens and I'm betting on the Erubescens as both are in the "Swamp Lily" group and erubescens is the most picky about blooming as it really likes the Swamp. I grow mine in pots in cement troughs with water in the trough 12 months out of the year and just water often the Ameicrinums. There is a close Crinum Asiaticum but in 5 years even not blooming would be 5-6 FEET tall. On e-bay the good crinum guys are "seedman" and "Mulbsnmore" I prefer the last one but, they are great friends but, not with each other.

Blog Entries
    Well, today Mom reported a strange pink flower in front of her window--near the 'weird white flower'--the Spider Lily. It took me awhile to figure out what she was talking about when suddenly-bing!-I realized the Ellen Bousanquet crinum had bloomed ! I guess the seller gave me a mix of Crinum and Spider Lily (must have been quite close together in the bed). So finally-Crinum in bloom !

Dazed ---
    If you can get your mom some fertilizer that is higher in P and K than N usually like what they sell as 'bulb' fertilizer and use it per directions they will bloom like crazy. I make my own and it is 6-17-23 and they bloom like crazy, make babies like crazy and grow, grow, grow. It works wonders with bulb plants.
    John

Blog Entries
    Thanks John ! I will definitely do that--waiting 4 years for a bloom is way too long; I want them to bloom every year !

+ Reply to Thread