+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bunny Excitement

Bunny Excitement

Sniper (Baby, to me) has decided to be more of an outside cat rather than an inside one.

She cries when she wants to come inside and cries when she wants to go back out. This time, she brought a surprise ~~ inside.

Hunter went to the medicine chest and got some Neosporin. Sniper had done a number on this smally bunny.

Then, Hunter found a box in the garage, but obviously, the bunny could jump out of that. So, he decided to empty a laundry basket and turn it upside down over the bunny so that it can have food/water and rest for a day or two without danger.

I don't know if it will make it, but we have done the best that we can, for now...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Poor thing !
    If it is feisty it might be ready for release; hard to tell from the photos. The neosporin was a good thing; I can't belive it stood still long enough for that !
    Sniper's name apparently suits him--shame on you Sniper.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

He/she has four bad wounds, but they are mostly superficial. There was a little bleeding, but not a lot. Mostly, the coat of fur was ripped, so that is where we applied Neosporin, to prevent infection, and we made sure the skin/fur was put back into the proper place. Hopefully, it will heal.

There do not seem to be any deep wounds, so hopefully, he/she will recover.

The poor thing was in shock, and I know that he/she was in pain!

Oh, goodness! I cannot bear to see a baby critter in pain!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann and Hunter,

With this bing an older baby bunny it has a very good chance of making a full recovery AND it will have learned (the hard way) what a cat smells like and will react in a safer way that trying to run from one.

Pippin was a baby bunny catcher and brought several into the house, some weren't injured at all and some would have one or two skin tears to several. I never had anything on hand to treat them but I did at least crunch them back together before I would release the bunny under a large storage "barn" with the warning to not get caught again. I know I rescued one at least twice - took it awhile to learn.

Younger bunnies don't do as well, mainly because they have such a high metabolic rate that the shock causes their hearts to stop. Fortunately animals in shock don't feel any pain.

Another interesting thing about young rabbits is that their skin is very loose, which is also why it does tear so easily. Ann if you noticed, there is a thin membrane between the fur and the muscles and it acts as a barrier to dirt and possible infections. Rabbits can easily tear their own fun/pelts because of how quickly they do moved and how close they get to objects, like briar's, that can snag the fur, having a loose fitting skin is, in effect, a defense tactic.

Release the bunny very early in the morning, just before dawn if at all possible and in a secluded area when it can move away at it's own pace and w/o causing itself any additional injury. Then keep the cat in or make it war a collar with a big, loud bell. In fact, you might even want to attach more bells to the collar just to be sure it makes a noise. For the cat's safety, do make it a break away collar.

Rebecca
    Jack of all trades, master of none!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

The bunny died....

So sad, but things happen in nature that we cannot prevent.

Thanks, Rebecca!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann and Hunter,

I am sorry to hear the baby didn't make it, the stress and shock were just too much for it, plus there may have been some internal injuries that weren't know about. Just know you did the best you knew to do for it.

If this should happen again, treat the wounds and release it as quickly as possible and be as quite as possible. Release in a well secluded spot, hard for predators to get to. If it is strong enough to survive, it will, and in the mean time it will be in a quite, dark place where it can feel safe.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Guess What?

Sniper brought us another bunny gift!

This one is smaller and fortunately does not have any deep wounds. I held the little one, cupped in my hand to keep it warm. Then, I woke Hunter up. Hunter remembered the laundry basket and went to get it.

In the meantime, the bunny fell asleep in my hand while I was petting its little forehead. When I moved to take him to his little, temporary safe haven in Hunter's room, I noticed a tiny bit of blood on my fingers. I could not find the wound, but could see a tinge of blood on the fur of its right paw.

As I lifted him up to look at the paw, I noticed that he did not hold the paw erect like the other one. Gee! I hope that it is not broken.

We'll watch the bunny for a few hours and then take him/her to a vacated old estate near here.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The bunny is just fine!

It is much younger than the previous one, so I don't think it is old enough to be afaid. He/she actually seems to like being held.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

That is a ver healthy looking cotton-tail. I'd guess it to be 3 to 4 weeks old and eating solid (is grass and clover "solid" food??) Anyway, this one has a very good chance at survival in the wild. Except for maybe natural predators. Too bad you can't let it loose closer to it's probably home, it's chances would be better as it would probably go back to it's own warren and get some "training" from it's mom.

Hey, since it likes to be held, have you thought about making it a pet?! Could name it "Bugs" or "Petunia" or "Thumper"!!

Sure is a cute little daylily nibbler. I don't think ours are old enough to be out of the nest, let along away from their warrens yet. I have noticed a decline in the city bunny population though and that always sends red flags up for me. If wildlife isn't happy, what else is off kilter? could be last summer drought has caused a decline in the population, although I did see where someone had nibbled on a few of the DL fans over in the field bed.

I would much rather have the rabbits and the "possums" than the blasted squirrels; at least the former don't up root my potted plants and destroy things trying to find hiding places for their winter larder.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ann,

Perhaps if you put a bell on the puss, that will ring and alert other wildlife and birds when it is about to pounce and give them a fighting chance.

Keeping it locked in the laundry overnight also helps.

Abby

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

The bunny has made its way back to the wilderness, where it belongs. Sorry, but Hunter and I do not need any more pets. We have plenty!

Cute and loveable and adorable, but enough is enough, don't you think? Taco, Simba, Buddy, Baby (Sniper) and Blue... I should say so!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Plus I am sure having a bunny (caged) and around would drive poor Sniper crazy!

Wild things belong in the wild; I am certain the baby would not have been happy living any other way.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread