+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sure sign of Fall

Blog Entries

Sure sign of Fall

As I sit inside my not so cool home interior(the a/c quit 2 weeks ago and we thought oh well it's going to get cooler), I am watching the geese napping under the tree next to the pond AND 2 squirrels harvesting acorns from my pin oak and burying them. Uh oh ! What do they know that I don't ? It's been so hot that I just haven't wanted to garden. I see another 'mad dash' in my future !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

Geese are already leaving here for warmer parts, or perhaps better feeding parts. I haven't seen much from the flocks farther North though.

Those darling TREE RATS have been burying black walnuts in the potted plants ever since the nuts were pick-able and now it's the acorns. they are ALWAYS hording food, so you really can't count on them to be good forecasters!

I get a much better forecast by watching the birds, especially the Canadian Geese and the Cranes. Starlings are another good indicator bird as well are the American Goldfinch, for some, it's the Hummingbirds. Birds always seem to know.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I watched a tree rat trying to bury an acorn in my potted seedlings--located very close to the tree. At the time, I was up on the deck..barefoot. So, I yelled at him(yeah, like he was listening) and then I had to go get my flip flops on and trod over there. He was long gone. I didn't see any damage--just an indentation. But now I keep checking. If he dislocates one, at least I can try to replant it. I hope. So far, he hasn't tried again.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I haven't seen my humming birds for the last ew days so I am wondering if they are on their way South. We are supposed to get down to 38 Friday night so that is a sure sign of fall. Still no rain though. 17" behind now. We are more inches behind than we have had this year.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread