+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tropical Depression

Tropical Depression

There is a tropical depression forming on the northern Gulf Coast.

They say that it may become a tropical storm or a Category 1 hurricane, but if it does, it will be with very short notice. There are several forecasts and all of them are quite different.

I feel so grateful not to have been hit with a bad one again this year. To tell you the truth, the rain would be nice, but as long as there is not too much, too fast, and not too much wind...

Wow! It is so nice for the temps to be a little bit lower.

I am ready for the fall, but not for winter. Days are going by too fast though. I wonder where the time goes...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I heard about this storm on th eweather this evening and wondered what it was doing. We'll all be keeping an eye on it and thinking about you.
    We have not had rain again in awile. We are now 15 inches behind. They said maybe some next week. I hope we all get some much needed rain and hope yudon't get a mess with it.
    tennessee sue

The principal came on the intercom this afternoon and announced that our school will be used for a shelter this evening. School buses will help to evacuate families in Bayou La Batre and East Fowl River. Other shelters may open as needed. They want people out of Mobile homes and Fema trailers and out of homes that are subject to deep flooding, especially south of us.

There is no reason for alarm right now. We don't have as much notice as usual with this one, but it is a minimal storm compared to those in recent years.

We are expecting flooding from 4-6 inches of rain, winds above 35 mph (who knows, at this point). The current forecast has the eye of the storm going right over my school (south east of me).

It looks like we are in for a very rainy weekend, to say the least! The forecast is for 60% today and 100% tomorrow. It should arrive here at about noon tomorrow.

All is okay! I may lose power, but it should only be for hours, not days and weeks.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,

Sounds like more of a heavy rain event than wind threat. I was so used to this sort of thing when living SE of Houston. Just time to stay indoors, read a good book, and let it blow over. Surely wish it would turn more northerly to help folks in the upper south who need rain so desparately.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

They haven't changed the official projections yet, but the latest report from our local station (wkrg.com) says:

"Tropical Depression 10 is just offshore of the Florida Panhandle. The center of it is likely to move onshore near Pensacola this evening. It may still become a Tropical Storm. In either case we continue with a Tropical Storm Warning along the coast. There is a threat of tornadoes and severe thunderstorms in the outer bands of the system. Heavy rain, higher surf, and rip currents are likely. These conditions continue through the night and gradually taper early Saturday. "

Pensacola is 60 miles east of here, so we will see...

Right now, it is quiet and no wind, no rain.

Bob, I am hoping for more rain here. We are still so very hard behind, and yes, it would be great if those north of us would get it because they are hurting just as bad, and most likely worse....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I do believe you'll be getting your rain tomorrow aftrnoon, maybe a little sooner, and it could be quite a lot. It doesn't look like this TD has enough power to move it off it's current NW course, looks like it'll amble into Texas early Sunday morning, but the projections I've looked at.

Like everyone, I am praying TS and TD are all y'all get this season.

Keeping all y'all in my thoughts and prayers,

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thank you, Rebecca!

The current local forecast is predicting that it will go onshore near Penscola, FL tonight. That would be good, because it would have less chance to strengthen over Gulf waters.

We could use the rain, and I could use the rest.

Either way, I will not complain as long as it stays minimal. Oh, Gosh! I would welcome the rain right about now...

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. I need all that I can get.

Hugs!

Ann
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It went onshore last night at Ft. Walton beach which is east of Pensacola, FL.

I woke up at 5am, and it was unusually quiet outside. I peaked out the back door, and everything was still except for the drops of rainwater still dripping off the roof.

My thoughts were, "Gee, this is like the 'eye' of the storm", so I started up this monster and looked at the radar on weather.com. Sure enough! We are in the eye of what is left of Tropical Depression #10, and the eastern side of that eye will arrive in the next hour or so unless it decides to sit where it is for awhile. One never knows about these things.

We will definitely get lots of much needed rain. That's a good thing.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It stayed east of us for several hours and seems to have fizzled out before the second batch of rain reached here. I see another band of rain, and if it makes it here, it will not last long.

I see sunshine!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, I hope you at least get a few showers out of it. Rain wiuld be so nice.
    We only have a slight chance of any all week. Not very promising.
    Now 15 inches behind.
    tennessee sue

We did get a little out of it, but we are way behind on rainfall still....

A little is better than NOTHING, so I feel for you!

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread