+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My mystery plant! ID help needed

My mystery plant! ID help needed

I was given this plant with no identification associated with it but told I would love it. As you can see in the photo, it appears to grow out of tuberous base(s) and will develop a vine like type of growth eventually. I am told the flowers are purplis and this plant likes full sun. I have no idea what it could be. Even a clue in the right direction might help. I thought I might be a pelargonium of some sort but not at all sure about that. Has anyone else seen or grown this plant? Would love to put a name on that blank label
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    The leaves look Columbine-like.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Not a Columbine, leaf is similar to Cransbill (Hardy Geranium, but they don't vine.

Let me see what I can fine, Bob and I'll try to come back with a few links for you.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I was thinking hardy geranium...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It's definitely not columbine - leaves are relatively thick in texture and Columbine has thin leaves and doesn't grow from a swolen tuberous-like base shown in the photo. This plant has produced woody shoots with new leaf growth emerging along it, (guess vining was an inadequate description) but those died back and what you see in the picture is relatively new shoots and growth emerging from the base. I, unfortunately, haven't seen what the flowers look like, but am told they are attractive. Some sort of pelargonium (geranium) was my initial thinking. I love a good mystery
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

I think you guys solved it - Hardy Geranium or Cranesbill. I did some internet research and everything appears to fall into place. I don't know what specific variety it is, or flower color that will result, but that's part of the fun of gardening. I have never grown this plant before and it seems like a great candidate for my garden in Austin (full sun, good soil in a raised bed and definitely more than adequately hardy here in winter. Ah, live and learn - there's always a new plant out there to discover
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Cool!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Pelagonium or hardy geraniums are one of my favorites. I have several varieties. They are easy to grow and easy to propagate. It scould be any color as they come in all colors. My favorite is the old timey Johnson's Blue. I also have a pink one that ispretty. And one that is magent that blooms happily along all summer up until frost. It also starts blooming very early. I have a new one I got this year that has silvery leaves. A very wide class of plants. All pretty. I think you will love it.
    tennessee sue

They don't seem to like our heat, but I adore them!

Sue, how do you propagate them?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, They grow so well I just divide them. I have started some from seeds as well. I for got to mention the one i have called Splish Splash. It has purple and white splotches on the blooms. It is fairly new. Have you tried it in a shadier spot? Mine seem to like some shade in the evening.
    tennessee sue

Thanks, Sue!

I had them under the remaining, big old pecan tree, but I think the heat and drought still got to them.

When life settles down and gets back to normal (is that possible?) perhaps we can trade some stuff and I can try again!

I had them for about 3-4 years before they started to vanish on me...

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, Remind me next spring and I will send you starts of a couple of them to try. You will like them.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread