+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heat Wave????

Heat Wave????

Are any of you experiences this heat wave?

It was 96 degrees the last couple of days. Today, they are forecasting an unreal 99 degrees and tomorrow, it is supposed to get to 98.

Then, I think it is supposed to go back down to the average 89-91.

With the humidity, it's going to feel like 110 degrees. Hopefully, one of those isolated showers will find its way to my neighborhood this afternoon and cool us off!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh yes, same for central TX. After 51 consecutive days of below average temperatures, yesterday was above average breaking the streak and we are expecting 95 to 100 degrees without rain for the next 7 days forecast. This is normal for us this time of year but was nice being below normal with all that rain while it lasted. I'm back to periodic watering of bedded and potted plants.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Ann,
    We've had it for the past week or two. Highs in the lower and mid 90's everyday. No showers or storms just heat and humidity. We don't have a lot of 90 degree weather so we are breaking records about every day. Looks like it will stick around awhile, in the forecast for all week with no rain. Watering has become a daily thing. I am wilting right along with the poor plants.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    100 here for the next week; no rain predicted(rained good Wednesday night); virtually a shut-in. I go out at night and harvest daylily seed pods--that's about it--aside from pilgrimage to and from work. Thank goodness for air conditioning(fingers crossed it'll hold out as it really needs replacing).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

We broke a record today, 101 degrees and felt like over 110 degrees.

I have to tell you that with this humidity, there was not a single neighbor outside working in the yard, and certainly, I did NOT! I did water the Amaryllis babies in the greenhouse, but other than that, I was inside.

Wow! Awful! I am ready for normal again...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    We've had it hot and humid here too and no rain either, although they have gotten plenty of rain east and south of us. What crops did start to grow in our county are basically lost now because of the drought and heat. I know my poor DL's over in the big bed look like death warmed over for the most part. A few are blooming or beginning to rebloom.

On the way over to check for pods this even, the grass was pretty crunchy.

I don't even look at the weather forecast, can't stand hearing "today's high will be 90 whatever and with the heat index it will feel like 110! I don't have A/C, well I do, but can't afford to run it, so all I have is fans to blow the hot air around. Some days it's worse that being locked in a room full of politicians!

No end to it anytime soon here either.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Today, it's supposed to go as high as 101 degrees here. If it makes it that high, it will set a record. I believe we tied with a record yesterday.

According to the current forecast, there are a few more days of upper 90's before we go back to the normal lower 90's.

STEAMY!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This Afternoon

We got lucky, and caught the edge of a thunderstorm. There was just enough rain and lots of clouds to bring the temps back down to around 89-90.

I'll certainly be glad when this heat wave leaves the Gulf Coast. Everyone here will...

At least my plants received a sip of water, and I am grateful for that. I had gone out earlier to water some of them, but was dreading going back out this afternoon to water more.

Didn't have to do that, so everything is set for a day or two, anyway.

Rebecca, Maybe you could hang out in the library or something. Do they have airconditioning in your public buildings?

I grew up without air conditioning. However did we manage to survive? I guess we were just used to it...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann, I could hang out at the Library, but the walk up there would be a killer, and then I'd have to walk back! I have my fans and there's always the shower if I get too hot. I usually just go water the plants - cools them and me down. Sometimes I even just go over to Di's - she's just down the alley from me and they do run their A/C.

My basement is still cool, so there's another alternative - of course I'm usually doing laundry when I'm down there. Which reminds me I forgot about a load of towels in the washer, so guess I have to run them through again. These were some the neighbor had left behind that she's used in her dog crates. The ones that don't come clean enough can be used for the kitties and the others I can use on the furniture - for the kitties to lay on! some of these were/are really nice towels too. They were very wasteful young people.

You know, I might not be able to take the heat like I used to, but it's still better than being cold all winter long!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I've been thinking about going to the basement myself. One of our AC's is torn up so just one doesn't keep it too cool in here. Daughter went to stay with her friend who has AC. I have all the doors closed and plan to sack out on the couch tonight. I have been giving the animals access to the basement. THe floor is so cool for them to lay on.
    tennessee sue

Yesterday was our first 100 degree day in Austin. Expecting the same today. Believe it or not, 97 is the normal (average high) for the day so we weren't much above normal, but looks like the rest of the summer will be typical hot, dry weather for us after that wonderful two month period of cooler and wetter than average. Decided to sweat it out in the yard today - taking frequent breaks, drinking lots of water - but their is garden maintenance work to be done.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

We are still under an extreme heat advisory. The school system issued memoes stating that there will be no outside physical education (PE) today.

I have duty at noon, and it is outside, surrounded by hot cement and brick. Fortunately, about halfway into my duty (watching kids at lunchtime), there was a few times that a brisk breeze helped to cool me off.

I think they should order all students INSIDE during lunch, then I could be in the cool air conditioned school.

Oh, well! I did just fine. I think we have a few more days of this heat. Our norms are around 90, but with humidity the real feel is much harder.

And, Ooops! Tropical storm season appears to have started...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We have exceeded 100 degrees every day for the past week. The temp outside right now is 106, with still no rain in the forecast. Farms and lawns are all brown, and now the trees are starting to drop their leaves. There is a large cedar tree out front that is totally dead from lack of water.
    One of the problems with heavy clay soil like ours is that once it is dry, it is very difficult to get water into it. Occasional rain just runs off. It will take a sustained steady rain for several days to really help the deep roots of trees now.
    My well will pump 30 gal/minute, but I still cannot keep everything watered enough to keep some from dying.
    It is really bad here in west central Alabama.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Oh, Tom!

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. I feared the worst for you because it always seems that your highs are higher than mine despite you being north of me.

Strange, huh? Your highs are higher in the summer, but the rest of the year, your lows are lower...

No rain today, but I see a blob of rain on the doppler that may possibly come this way. It is too unbearably hot to be outside watering right now or lugging around hoses.

Life is indeed settling down a bit (school work), so perhaps this winter, I can take care of getting new lines and faucets and sprinklers installed so that I have have to do is turn them on and not lug hoses around.

I desperately need to weed, roundup and kill privet and popcorn trees, but it is going to have to wait. Between a busy and hectic start at school and this heat, I am doing the best I can.

I will not ask too hard for rain. There is a tropical storm out there and that means the season begins again for us.

I know that I would rather mow than lug hoses and walk on crunchy dead grass and weeds.

Keep us posted!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I desperately need to weed, roundup and kill privet and popcorn trees, but it is going to have to wait. Between a busy and hectic start at school and this heat, I am doing the best I can.
    I would not recommend using any weed control chemicals right now. With the lack of water, there is very little transpiration going on with the plants, so it just would not work.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast