+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: You Know Me

You Know Me

or by now, if you have been around awhile, you should...

I have decided to commit to something, and when I commit, I do so big time.

Many of you know that I feel really fortunate to have had a fantastic career in Systems Engineering. I owe that to my high school teachers who helped pave the way for me to go to college.

So, now I am the teacher, and I see so much potential in students like me who have no idea what the future holds...

Anyway, you know me, and I tell you as it is! In the next few months I will be leading (as teacher/sponsor) something very new to me.

Since all of you are my friends, and we have been hanging out for so long, I wanted to share my excitement in this new venture to help introduce industry and the future workforce opportunities to my students.

So, here goes...

http://www.bestinc.org/MVC/

Wish us luck!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Awesome Ann ! I checked the link and then the regional map and found out the company I work for is a local sponsor here in Wichita. I think they call for volunteers each year. I'll pay more attention now.
    Good for you and GREAT for your students ! Hands-on is soooo important in getting them involved and interested. You are brave to take this on. Good Luck to you and your team !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Oh, Cathy!

If you have time, these students need all the help and volunteers they can get. Even if it is only for a few hours every other week.

Now is the time if you are interested!

It is quite awesome and overwhelming, but I truly believe, with all my heart, that this is really a GREAT opporunity for our future generation.

Hugs!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

YOU GO GIRL!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I wish, for you and for your team, the very best intuitions and strategies.
    You are veritabtely extraordinary Ann!
    I couldn't name anyone who would be apt or prepared to say "I want to give something which I received myself when I was younger"
    That is an absolutely new kind of motivation for me!

We had our first meeting. The students are really excited about this one. So am I...

More and more students have stopped by my room to inquire. There will be another meeting this coming week.

I do have 3-5 other teachers participating, and some went to the mentor's meeting. We desperately need more parental involvement and more local industry involvement.

We do not expect to win anything this year because we have a learning curve to experience and the team is just now starting to form, but there is hope and a LOT of excitement.

Who knows???
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann -

It sounds like things are off to a great and exciting start! Excitement IS infectious, so perhaps parents and industry will "catch on" and join in yet. Never under-estimate the power of an excited teenager!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Kick Off Day was today!

We saw the playing field, and I am thrilled! It is much simpler than those in the past, but the challenge will be in designing and building the robot.

Cathy! This is especially for you!

From Kansas, a video, a really good video that explains what I will be doing for the next couple of months...

http://www.bestinc.org/MVC/Game/play_kansas_best
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh, Thank you Ann ! I thoroughly enjoyed that ! What an odd triangulation it went through for me to see it ! (Wichita to Alabama to Wichita). I saw a thank you to Kelton Farris who belongs to the daylily club along with his wife Linda.
    It looks like good fun. I'll have to find out fom the gal in our company what is going on right now with it. Come to think of it, if I go to the DL Club mtg tomorrow night, I'll probably see Kelton.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

It IS quite overwhelming, especially since this will be the first year that my school is competing, but I am excited, and my classroom now houses all of the supplies to build this Robot. BUT we have to find another place to build it and to practice... A challenge, huh?

We are going to build a robot that will go to Mars, and I can't tell you more than that, YET! But, I promise I will take a lot of pictures and post them as soon as all of the schools across the nation have seen the playing fields and the game rules.

There was some really GREAT news. One of the newest sponsors is a company that designs and builds robots for underwater AND they gave us a $100 gift certificate at Lowes. FANTASTIC!

Hopefully, they will provide us with a few hours a week of their engineer's time to mentor our students. They are in our school area, so this is very exciting!

Cathy! I believe in this with all my heart or I wouldn't be committing the next couple of months to it... Tell them to join the teacher's forum for Best and share some tips 'cause we are going to need that. We have a HUGE learning curve!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I have spent nearly the entire weekend learning about this. I must admit that it is going to be FUN!

Here is a link to another video:

http://www.bestinc.org/MVC/Game/play_south_best
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And this video tells the story of why I am teaching...

http://www.bestinc.org/docs/Survival...r-students.wmv
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hopefully, all of you will be patient with me for the next month. I am in overload, but it is worth it.

I promised pics, so here they are...

Kick-off day, Sept. 8th, a crowded gym!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The Unveiling of the Playing Field

This is what we were waiting for...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Okay

So, it is not unveiled yet.... We were waiting, anxiously!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast