+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potted up orchids- a first for me !

Blog Entries

Potted up orchids- a first for me !

While I was visiting my Mom in Florida I repotted her 3 orchids. I made sure I got potting mix that looked 'barky'--the Miracle Gro was really bad, but I found one in Home Depot that is endorsed by the Orchid Society and it looked 'right' to me--barky with charcoal and I think maybe perlite chunks(something white).
    I hadn't counted on them needing bigger pots until I saw how root bound 2 of them were. No doubt a factor in their refusal to bloom. Ended up having to buy one more bag. They are usually watered on Mondays so they will be first watred tomorrow. I read that they need to re-establsih their roots so watering immediately isn't a requirement. I also figured the roots could use a little dry time--not that they were wet but hving been root bound..... Anyway, that was a first for me. Two years earlier I paid an orchid nursery nearly $15 to have all 3 repotted and the pots were no bigger.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

Just for future ref, Schultz puts out an Orchid Mix that is pretty darned good, expensive, but good stuff. It's hard to find small quantities of specialized potting mixes that are also inexpensive. Anyway, I mix this with regular potting mix to my Clivias (about 50/50) and they do very well in it too.

So how come you didn't take a picture of the before and after and IF you did, why didn't you post them too?!

Now, get up here and re-pot mine!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cathy I just recently repotted the two orchids I rescued from the trash at work. A first for me too. One just went from the plastic pot into a clay pot about the same size so it wasn't much of a problem. The second one was in a very small plastic pot with just regular potting soil. Some of the roots were rotted as the pot was stuck down in a decorative planter with no drainage. I cut off the rotten roots and repotted with orchid moss into a bigger clay pot. Both ate doing well now even after I let a couple of leaves get sunburned. I just cut them off and both orchids have new growth now. I had to get Rebecca to tell me what to do as I had never had an orchid before. I am pleased with the results so far. Now to see if they ever bloom again.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Sue- I recall reading your post about the salvaged orchids. What a find and what a good job reviving them. I also had to move up to clay pots. Last time I was there I bought Shultz's orchid food at the recommendation of the orchid lady across the street. I got it at Home Depot and it's used every other week.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread