+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Camera closeups are revealing!

This is the "business end" of a Hibiscus bloom close up.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    Nice, Bob! Especially like the "business end" of the hibiscus. That must be the "tropical" hibiscus as the hardy variety is even more "brush-like". Guess I could pop out and get a few close-ups since I have several open today.

The individual flowers on Russian Sage are so tiny, but I got a couple of nice ones plus what I thought was going to be a neat pix of the Blue Dayflower, turned out to be something else. Oh the Dayflower is there, but I wasn't at quite the right angle, so it is the background for a bloom from the Russian Sage!
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Here's several blooms of the Russian Sage:
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This is an annual sage here and sold under the name "Red Lady Sage". The blooms aren't nearly as tiny as with the Russian Sage, and actually very showy. I'm usually over run with these, but I didn't get very much seed last year and a lot of the seedlings just didn't survive this freaky weather.
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca, You know that I am nuts. After reading a forum on dayflowers over at Dave's Garden I might have to reconsider. I do have that one bank at the back side yard that I am trying to get completely covered so I don't have to have it mowed. If you see any seeds save them for me while I think about it.
    When I find a box to send your package I will send you a start of the blue and yellow eyed grass. My clumps could probably use dividing and I might put some in the raised beds. They are nice little plants that don't spread too quickly.
    I am really enjoying the close ups. I like the one of the hibiscus too. They look so weird even not too close up. Keep up the good pictures.
    tennessee sue

Aechmea chantinii 'samurai' in bloom

Look at this close up of the bloom on the colorful Aechmea chantinii 'samarui' bromeliad.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

A good occasion, and I MUST recall my photo takings of amaryllogene and hippeastrumateous BUDS from an unusually short distance...

H.aulicum v.robustum x (Donau x Ambiance)

Amaryllis belladonna

More closeups

This is the flower head on the Calliandra emarginata (dwarf powder puff bush) which is a Zone 10 tropical.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

And then, something as simple as the seed head on a dwarf Pennesetum ornamantal grass can be fascinating to the close up lens.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

If you are familiar with the plant we call 'snowdrops' you will know that this is a very small bloom, not more that 6" from the ground in early spring. The flower is no bigger than the end of my little finger.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

It is quite rare to see a toad we call 'tree frog', they are small and mostly nocturnal. It is even more rare to see the underside of one and showing the sucker toes he uses to climb with. This one resides and hunts in a Loropetilum near the window next to my computer. He shares this lodging with many different lizards. I looked up one night and he was sitting on the outside of the windowpane, with his little underside toward me. I was just as surprised at all the color he exhibited, as those unique toes.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom, What a great shot of that little fellow. His feet look transparent. It looks like he is floating in space. Great treat to see one of these from that angle.
    I love the snowdrops. I have a few and really enjoy their spring appearance. I particularly like Bob's grass seed picture. Oh how I wish my little camera would take such nice close ups.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    I waited too long to take this photo. Initially it was green berries with cute little belly buttons against hot pink stems. Now, it's predominantly purple black berries against the hot pink stem.
    I'm sure it's a weed but it was spared for its beauty.
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    In addition to the one above, I spared this one too. Against my better sense b/c I am sure it is chock full of weed seeds ! I love the 'geometry' that it possesses ! (Just realized that the geometry isn't so apparent; I'll take another photo).
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I tried but the light isn't good enough; I'll try earlier tomorrow. I took another photo of the hot pink stemmed weed showing the green berries with hot pink belly buttons.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast