+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Camera closeups are revealing!

Camera closeups are revealing!

One of the joys of gardening is using the camera to capture the details and beauty of the plants and flowers you grow in a way that the human eye often misses. I recently noticed my Hoya kerryi blooming and decided to take a close up photo of the bloom - the results were amazing.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Outstanding!

Digital photography is wonderful, and yours is a prime example. Great Picture.

You may enjoy some of the revealed intricacies in the following web page.

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...ildcarrot.html

I hope the link works for you.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom, That is exactly what I was talking about! What wonderful photography that was of the Queen Anne's Lace (we don't have that here in TX but I remember it well from my days living up north). It would be neat to see if other Landspro posters have close ups to share also - taken right from their gardens.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

It looks like someone sewed little yellow translucent beads to the little pink "petals". Very interesting and beautiful.
    Tom, Someone ,Linda I think, Showed us this link once and I spent days looking at all the neat stuff on this site. Very intricate detail. I loved the passion flower photos. It has such a strange bloom anyway.
    I'd love one day to have a camera with a good macro lens to take such good close-ups.
    Thanks Bob for sharing this with us.
    tennessee sue

To me, the passiflora blooms are the most fasticnating blooms, so I agree Sue!

Wanna see some of the ones that I have blooming today?

This is caerulea ...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lady Margaret is superb and blooms a LOT, early to late season...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And then there is Incense which is hardy to zone 6, I think and the bloom is much larger than the other two...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Some time in the not too distant past I posted several extreme close ups of various flower. I've made a collage with some of them and added two vies of eye zone of a couple of my miniature DLs, which is the only way you can really see the patterning in these mighty mites.

I thought I had done a really close look at the pistil and anthers of a blackberry lily, but Picasa can't find it (nothing new there!)

The original of this collage is huge, so huge it won't fit on a screen, but I will size it down and post it to Webshots one of these days - I'm very far behind in posting images to those albums.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ann,
    If Incense has any seeds I would like to have a few. I can never get seeds from the native one that grows near me because they mow them down before they get ripe. As a matter of fact they were mowing yesterday. If Marty is in any this fall I might have him try to get me some from the farm. I love them but they do not transplant well at all.
    Thanks for all the lovely pictures Rebecca. You are all such good photographers. I like the unusual views that most people never notice.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

I'll keep my eye open for seeds, but to tell you the truth, this one is actually easily propagated from cuttings. That's how I came upon this one, from a friend at Master Gardeners years ago.

In fact, it is in a protected area because I have had problems with the original plant due to hurricanes. I hope to make cuttings this fall, but you know how life gets hectic and sometimes plans to not happen.

I have been very successful at digging up smaller 'pop-ups'. You have to make sure the ground is really wet, then you can dig them up and place them in a bucket of water to keep them from wilting until you have time to pot them up. It does help to put them in a very humid environment (cover with plastic, if necessary) and they root fairly quickly.

And, if need be, you can cut off the outer 3/4ths of the leaves to reduce transpiration.

I'll keep you in mind if I have a chance to propagate some of the cuttings!

Next post... Some more pictures!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Clerodendrum 'Ugandense'

I have had this one for years. The original was purchased at the flea market and is not doing as well as this one that is in more full sun.

Every year, I promise myself that I will prune this in early spring so that there will be more flowers starting now, but once again, I did not do that.

Anyway, I am always thrilled to see the cluster of blooms!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Clerodendrum bungei

This one, you have seen before... Courtesy of my grandmother, but unfortunately VERY invasive!

The blooms are so pretty, but when you pull up the runners, your hands will STINK!

Still, it is fun to watch the blooms open slowly during the day. Every time that I go outside, there are more pink blooms opened.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A closer view with a little less sun...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I think I really started something neat. I am loving all the closeup photos being posted! Keep em coming

This is a Desert Willow bloom (with a little ant on it).
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    I tried might hard to get several different types of close-ups tonight, unfortunately I waited a bit to late and was shooting with available light that was a bit too low for hand held shots. I did, however manage a few.
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast