+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What size flats do you use

Smile What size flats do you use

Hello all

I found some flats on the companies that Jim sugested (thank you). And I was wondering what size flats you people use. I did a little experimenting last summer with some 1020 flats that I had, I found them to be flimsy or not very sturdy. I did find one company that had a heavy 11x11x3" flat but they wanted a $1.49 each I was hoping to buy around 100 or 200 seams a little pricy or maybe thats a good deal. I dont know. What do you folks think?

Thanks
    Chrys

Lattice Bottom Trays

Chrys,

I hope that some others will answer this question as well. I have found that the closed bottom trays are flimsy, but the biggest problem that I had with them is that they fill up with rain when I put the trays outside to harden off my cuttings and seedlings. SInce we commonly get heavy, flooding type rains, this would happen even if I punched holes in them.

One day, at Home Depot, there was a huge stack of the lattice bottom trays. I asked if I could have them, and the young gentleman said, "Sure, they are just going to be thrown away." So, I loaded the trunk of my car. Since then, I have not been shy about asking at both Lowe's and Home Depot for used empty trays.

I have accumulated several sizes and they all come in handy because they are sturdier. They are also available at nursery supply places. In my case, that is BWI Companies in Semmes, AL.

Good Luck!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Check out:
    http://www.mortonproducts.com/

Once there click on 'Greenhouse Containers'.

They also have round and square plastic pots and these too seem to be priced well.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Lightbulb Flats and Containers

I like Ann am a strong proponent of not having to pay for anything I can get for free. My local retail Nursery saves all of their pots and flats for me and I pick them up weekly. I currently have thousands of gallon pots stored up and also flats. I like both the mesh bottom ones which I line with a piece of old window screen on the botton and the ones for 6 packs that have slits in the bottom for drainage. I cuurently am using both kinds to grow out flats of Buffalo Grass for transplanting as plugs into my someday to be yard.

cutting trays

chrys-I have a problem buying these trays in Canada, noone stocks anything heavy and deep here.

Growers here have used either individual cells for rooting(but this is always with some kind of perlite mix, not sand which would be too heavy), or they have made their own from lumber and plywood, which is what I did last summer. Nice little project to do with the kids, but the suckers are awful heavy, esp. once you load em up with sand!

I'm sure some of the other links will help you out with stuff you can access down there. Just kinda jealous, since I had the same frustrating time you did looking for the correct type of flat. Good hunting--Glen in BC

I thought I should thank everyone for your input. You all have been very helpful. I think I am going to try the 1020 flat and use a sand peat and perilite mix.
    I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks again
    Chrys

I thought I should thank everyone for your input. You all have been very helpful. I think I am going to try the 1020 flat and use a sand peat and perilite mix.
    I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks again
    Chrys

Chrys I double up on the 1040 trays this is your cheapest way out and very easy to do no drainage problems either since a little gap between the trays.If you don't have a Home Depo or Lowes nears you go to Wally world I paid 10 bucks for a trunk full what employee wouldn't want to make an easy ten bucks.
    Gene

+ Reply to Thread