+ Reply to Thread

Thread: propagation flats

Question propagation flats

Good morning all

I am hoping someone might know where I can get some propagation flats. I have my mist system set up all I need aree the flats. I have looked all over the internet with no luck needless to say I am getting very fustrated. any help would be greatly apperciated.

Thanks
    Chrys

Flats

Try A. M Leonard (Piquay, Ohio) MacKenzie Nursery Supply (Perry Ohio) or BFG Supply (Burton), Waldo & Associates (Perrysburg, Ohio). All should be able to help you with a case. Smaller amounts try Mellinger's (North Lima -- near Youngstown not Lima!)

Good Luck

Jim Lang
    Jim Lang

propagation flats

I don't use a plain old flat. I use the sheets of 72 (12 ea 6-packs) of individual plugs/holes that are available from BWI really cheap. This allows me to transplant the whole plug directly to a larger pot without disturbing the roots. I feel the fewer times a plant has its roots distubed the faster it will grow. The tradeoff is fewer cuttings in a flat - but better, stronger plants without as much transplant shock.

I also use slightly different media to plant in than do many others. I use mixtures of peat, perlite, vermiculite, and sand depending onwhat I am planting and what I hope to achieve. Even a mix of perlite and sand works good and is fast draining. One of the reasons I do this is here in Texas, good sand that is not alkaline is hard to find.

Another Source

A very large online catalog is at:
    http://www.hummert.com/index.asp

Look under "Plant Containers"
    They have a wide variety of sizes and quality, but you may not like their order quantity (they sell primarily to commercial growers in bulk)
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread