+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Orchid Hunter

Blog Entries

The Orchid Hunter

I ran across this while looking for pics of fireworks. It doesn't take much to send me off on a tangent. Anyway, this caught my eye. The transcript is on the link as are some super photos. You might want to come back and read this in the winter when you have time on your hands.

The Orchid Hunter
    Go to the companion Web site http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/orchid/
    For nine months in 2000, Tom Hart Dyke was a captive of guerrillas who seized him while he was collecting wild orchids in the Colombian rain forest. Now Hart Dyke is at it again in the most orchid-rich and politically unstable part of Papua New Guinea. NOVA investigates an all-consuming passion that for some people is more precious than life itself. Ranging from the scientific to the sociological, Orchid Hunter covers research at the forefront of plant biology. Long of interest to scientists because of their remarkable evolutionary history, orchids are equally exciting to collectors, who have made them a multibillion-dollar industry.
    Original broadcast date: 11/26/2002
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy, I bookmarked this as I have to go to work in a few minutes. Plant hunting is a topic of interest to me. I read a very old book about some of the earliest plant hunters. Think how it would feel to go out and find plants no one has ever seen before. How exciting.
    Another of my favorite topics is ways of seed dispersal so if you find any good articles on that let me know.
    Speaking of orchid hunting I have bee trash diving again. My lady that i stays with got another orchid that she threw away wneb the blooms died. Yeah!! I recovered it from the trash and brought it home and repotted it. Now I have 2. THis one is about 3 times larger than the first. We'll see if I can prevent killing them. Rebecca is advising me on this one. They are both phals. Both white. Both beautiful.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread