+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avery Ranch Cave

Avery Ranch Cave

Go to this link to see the inside of a cave that is just about one block from our home in NW Austin. It was opened for the first time for viewers this month and I couldn't believe what was just 10+ feet underground in our neighborhood. Makes me wonder what kind of natural basement we might have beneath our house! Once discovered, this lot was fenced off and is now managed by the Texas Cave Conservency.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/robertbe...60762404525825
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    Wow ! I have never seen anything like that with so many colors and textures. I love the blood red stalagtite. And that bumpy multi colored formation that looks like a carousel horse.
    Are you in a new development? I am very curious what the history is for that area ?!
    Thank you so much for the pix. It is like being there and since we can't be there is is such a wonderful treat !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

The entire Edwards plateau in Central Texas is made of porous limestone and caves are abundent in this formation. There are probably thousands of undiscovered caves underground in this area but this one happened to be discovered quite accidently - while the subdivision was being developed. This is only the size of a large room, but many caves are considerably larger. There is one north of here that actually passes under Interstate 35.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Thank you so much! What a beautiful place. I always liked going into caverns while on vacation growing up. How cool!
    Looks otherworldy (is that even a word!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread