+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sad gingers

Blog Entries

Sad gingers

What can I do to make these gingers happy ?
    Attached Images  
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Plant them in the ground during spring - fall, good well drained organic soil, a little fertilizer, plant in a shady or semi shady area, keep well watered (i.e. replicate a tropical understory rain forest environment where they thrive), and watch them go and grow.
    Dig them up when temps get below 40 again. These look like Hedychium coronarium which can take it down to 20 degrees (ground hardiness). Keeping them in 1 gal pots is inhibiting growth. They like their freedom.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    I'll try that. In fact, the area that they are in is to be my tropical-looking area. It is under a weeping mulberry tree. I agree about the pots. One thing that I have noticed is that they have not been happy in them ! Thanks !

Give them LOTS and LOTS of water! I have numerous varieties that are still in pots, and will hopefully find their permanent place in the garden in the next week or two...

I have noticed that if you give them lots and lots of water, they do just fine!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cathy,
    Are these gingers hardy in your Zone 6?
    tennessee sue

I would rinse them, thoroughly with a dilute fertilzer soution (0.5 gramms per Liter of lukewarm tap water or well water).

At least a volume equalling the pot substrate volume. Let them drain and repeat that kind aof water administration after some days - according to the water consumption.
    LET the substrate dry out sufficiently between waterings (!)
    HOWEVER, this is a general advice.
    IF gingers are kind of swampland plants and tolerating or even demanding MORE water - like Papyrus plants (Cyperus species) then the simple "lots and lots of water" (Your suggestion, Ann) might be STILL better!!

This kind of "cycling" is somewhat cumbersome, but it is finally the best method I know.

The next-best way is to apply water (WITH some fertilizer as above; YES: Always) from below, into a saucer. But, no more water - beg your pardon: Diluted fertilizer solution - as will be absorbed by the substrate within a rather short time span. Every day or every second day, according to the weather conditions.

Taken together I would rinse thoroughly as suggested above, then let them drain, put them on saucers and begin to water them from below

Blog Entries
    Yes, water and fertilizer would probably be welcome. While in the house(and they have been since I got them last fall), I have always sensed that they needed more water but was always afraid of giving them too much. If you look at the leaf edges , it would seem that lack of water is the problem. Thank you for the advice.

Duh..forget my stupid question. I see that this post is under subtropicals so I know they are not hardy in Zone 6.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread