+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone into Bromeliads?

Anyone into Bromeliads?

Wondering if anyone on this forum is into Bromeliads. I surely am. I love photographing them when in prime such as the picture below of a grouping of flowering Tillandias I took the other day.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Another grouping of bromeliads. Thse adorn our front door entry way. These are Neoregelias showing off their prime colors.
    Attached Images  
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

Blog Entries
    My Mom, in Florida, has what appears to be in your second photo. Apparently, they are prolific. She received the first one as a gift via the floist. It multipled and those multiplied and...so on !
    They could probably look better than they do and have spider mites. Would Neem oil be good for treating spider mites--Q-tips and alcohol is just too time consuming (now that I am getting older !)

Your photos really bring out their colors !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

The only insect problems I have ever had with bromeliads is a small black scale - never heard of spider mites being a problem for broms, but then again, maybe new information. I would not use Neem oil on bromeliads. I mechanically scrape off any scale I find but inspect my plents regularly to try to catch any problem in the early stages. Although I grow at least one of virtulally every major type of plant there is, I have more bromeliads than any other type, followed by succulents. Bromeliads are really one of the best kept secrets in the horticultural world and I am amazed so few people have an interest in them. Having a greenhouse for overwintering them is very helpful as they grow in similar growing conditions as orchids but are much easier to grow and when grown in the right light conditions, some varieties can produce spectacular foliage color. Yes, some bromeliad genera have beautiful flowers but often the foliage is overlooked as a key feature and reason for growing broms.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

+ Reply to Thread