+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peace lily

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Peace lily

I've had a huge rescue peace lily for a year now. I'm never sure about amount of water. Sometimes it droops and the soil feels moist so I won't water it. I moved it outside, under the upper deck, the other day in a droopy, moist soil state. Last night it poured and I watched the water pour down through the deck slats onto the peace lily. Today, it is perking up.
    I read that peace lilies are very sensitive to tap water and all the stuff in it. Could that really be true and the rain water was what it needed ? I mean, that even though in the past the soil was mosit, it was reacting to something in the tap water and not lack of water ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I suppose that could be true, but I think that someone else can tell you better than me. Usually, when mine starts to droop, they are bone dry. These do drink a lot of water!

I water almost everything (that is outside) with my well water.

We need rain badly, but it appears that it is going to wait until I have a few days off between teacher work day and summer school.

Oh, well... I promise that I will not complain. I have plenty to do inside!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    My Peace Lilies seem to do best when I keep their pots in buckets of water. I use tap water, straight from the main cold water lines and they do great. Even when I have to re-pot them, I continue with the same treatment. These are a marsh or bog type plant in their native habitat.

Try it, yours may like it. Adding some aquarium charcoal to the pot water helps keep it from going sour and a total water change once a month is beneficial.

Rebecca

Blog Entries
    OK.

Blog Entries

photo of peace lily

Here is the patient:
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I've seen this happen before in plants that go from desert to lake too often, root damage is probably in this case and a good long soak with bring it out of it. All, one the soil is moist, take a whiff of it and if it smells like anything but wet soil, re-pot it, remove all dead and dying roots and wash as much of the old soil off as you can before re-potting (same procedure you use with a daylily - drape roots over a mound of soil and firm nwe soil as you fill in). Stick it in a bucket and fill the bucket half way with tepid water, when that's gone, do it again. Let the plant and the air take up all the water before adding more.

Hope this helps.

Rebecca

+ Reply to Thread