+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Graduation 2007

Graduation 2007

The ceremony today was special to me! There were a few struggling seniors who were repeating the course I was teaching in order to graduate. As Hunter stood beside me, and I was taking pictures, I would tell him which ones were my students.

They worked hard! They learned a lot, and my efforts to teach these students will be forever in my memory.

It was a special day, and I was proud to be there to support them during their final celebration!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And this is one of the graduating students who will always hold a very special place in my heart.

He was my student in the Spring 2006 and was in a class filled with repeat Algebra 1a (failing) students. I specifically remember his first words to me, " I do not know how to do fractions." I told him, "Sit right here, and when we are done, you will be able to do them!"

And he did... He passed my course, went to summer school, passed Algebra 1b, and this past year he passed (with B's) Geometry 1a and Geometry 1b. Every time that I saw him in the hallway, he would tell me how well he was doing in his math classes.

A BIG SMILE, a GREAT STUDENT, and one that I will always be proud to have taught. I met with his Mom, convinced him and her that he should go for a regular diploma which meant going to summer school and missing out on summer camp. He DID IT!

And I can't tell you how much pride I have in my heart for HIM!

Indeed, he graduated with a regular diploma this afternoon, and he walked with the rest of them!

It's what he wanted more than anything, and HE DID IT! The picture includes his beautiful twin sister who is in the wheelchair in front of him.

Tears roll down my eyes... I am so very proud of him!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Good job,Ann. You should also be proud of yourself for being such a positive influence in the lives of these young people.
    tennessee sue

School is out for the summer, and I don't mind telling you that I am TIRED!

I still have a teacher work day on Tuesday, and a lot of paperwork to complete between now and then.

I am proud. I think this is the first year that I can truly say that I made a significant difference for numerous students. These students who so quickly confessed to not being good at math suddenly realizing that they are and how easy it can be.

One student, who had previously been home schooled kept interupting me to ask "What is this thing about adding and multiplying letters? I don't get it. That very student made the top score in his class this quarter.

YUP! I am proud to have made a difference for a few...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,

That's how my wife felt when she did almost full time substitute teaching at the high school level - being able to help a few challenged students succeed and graduate was such a rewarding experience for her. Way to go

Guess we can do our bulb swap now - a Picotee for San Antonio Rose. Let me know when that would be convenient to you.
    Bob Beyer
    Austin TX, Zone 8b/9a

After next Tuesday, Bob!

Students have finished, but I have not!

I will let you know...

You are gonna love Picotee!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- How wonderful for all ! Thank you so much for sharing these stories.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread