+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tornado in Kansas

Tornado in Kansas

Cathy!

I saw the news, and it is awful. I had never heard of an "upside down" tornado. Simply devastating...

Are you okay? Your friends, your family?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Yes ! Thank you and thank God !
    My mother left a teary message on the answering machine this morning and now I know whenever there is a tornado anywhere in Kansas I has better call her !

Greensburg is 110 miles west of Wichita.
    We got the live weather warning for that area last night on the news weather as the viewing area includes Greensburg.

This was a wedge tornado which as the name implies is very very wide and tall--estimated to be 3/4 mile wide. I'm sure you'll see the photo of it as there is a particularly 'good' one that I've seen on the news.

The town is small about 1400. But 95% of it is gone: including all of Main Street. Ironically, a local news station just did a story on the Rexall drug store on Main Street which has the oldest soda fountain and soda jerk in Kansas. I hope that poor man is OK.
    The news anchor, again, ironically, closed her story with "I'll never drive through Greensburg again without stopping at the soda fountain". Too late' it's gone.
    2 schools are gone(Jr & Sr. high). A whole John Deere dealership. And, of course, the homes. You might see video of houses rocked off their foundations and splintered with an "OK" painted in red on the outside. That means it has been checked out by Search & Rescue but in some strange sense it also means 'thank god, the house might be destroyed but WE, ARE, 'OK'. And "OK" is almost a sign of thanksgiving. Our county sent firemen and rescue teams out there. Just about all of the area has been evacuated, and no one is allowed in, so they can account for everyone. They have no communication, save for the reporters and their satellite trucks, and more thunderstorms are headed for them(not severe, but not what they need).
    Kansas folks, particularly the rural ones-many from tough pioneer stock, are awesome in times like these. First and foremost is their faith in God and understanding that coming out of this alive is more importatnt than anything else. They are resilient with a strong sense of community and they will persevere. They ask for our prayers.
    For anyone who lives in a tornado region, always be careful and take shelter. One young woman was driving and stopped at a convenience store. Normally, I wouldn't think that to be safe but the owner pulled her into the store's walk-in cooler along with 15 other people. When they emerged --everything else was gone around them. So, if you're driving remember stores with walk-in coolers and ditches are the next best thing. And always take shelter at home(innermost room w/ no windows or basement-innermost room).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Tornados are back in that same area. Currently a half mile wde twister is on the ground headed to Macksville again which was hit last night. A policeman, storm spoter, was critically injured there last night when the twister picked his car up and threw it 75 yards. They don't think he even saw the twister -it came up so fast. When the rain is torrential, the visibility is poor and , yes, it can snaek up on you ! Sounds like more unfortunate news will be coming from that same area...

Cathy,

This is so very sad...

I finally heard from my former neighbor, Ray after the Enterprise School was hit. He moved about two hours north of here where he did a lot of camping. One of his storage buildings is gone and all of the windows in his home were broken, but he was fine.

Keep us posted! Thankfully, here on the coast, tornadoes are not that big and do not last very long.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Well, right before lunch I heard OUR tornado siren go off. It will sound if there is a tornado sighted in any part of the county. It was southwest of me. The warning expired without incudent.
    The weather continues to be weird...rumbling thunder, brief rains.
    Here is today's headline(see link to more Aerial photos under main photo):
    http://www.wichitaeagle.com/

Blog Entries
    I found the video of the Greensburg soda fountain soda and oldest soda jerk. The soda fountatin is gone now. You can also see footage of the deepest hand dug well-it survived-it's a tourist attraction. They also lost the world's biggest meteorite--1,000 pounds !
    http://www.ksn.com/news/local/7301591.html

Blog Entries
    http://www.memory2motion.com/photos_...08_greensburg/

Photos from a co-worker with family in Greensburg. You will see some hints of humor(100 years and still going and price reduced-new paint in kitchen) and irony(the tornado siren ripped off its platform and on the ground).
    Kansas is pouring out help on the town--donations, telethons,etc.
    Thanks for thinking of them.

one more link--same family/farm. This one has captions. You can click on either of the first two links on the initial page to see more photos w/ captions.

http://www.crowellracing.com/greensburg/

Blog Entries
    photo from one of the links above:
    Attached Images  

Honest to goodness! Those pictures remind me of what we see here after a bad hurricane.

One photo reminded me of a strange thing that was observed after Hurricane Frederick. We would find southern pine needles stuck into the sides of pine trees.

I feel so badly for all of those that are suffering, but I am comforted that just like with disasters here, people are demonstrating pride and helping one another.

It's always such a relieve to know that you, your family and friends are alive, and you feel deeply for those who do not have that comfortable knowledge.

Thanks for sharing, Cathy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    The aftermath of any diaster is unfathomable.
    I was just going through the photos--the second link has captions that sort of tell a story.
    I heard on the news tonight that initially residents were upset that their guns were 'looted'. Come to find out that first responders(police) just found them strewn all over and they gathered them. Just today the police returned 140 guns--3 held back because they turned out to be stolen(based on serial number). 140 !!! Gee whiz, are we in NRA country or what ?!!!!
    I don't own a gun, never did, don't want one.
    They are having a non-denominational service Sunday--Mother's Day. A company in Texas is donating roses for all the Moms; I think that's sweet. Companies have donated sports uniforms as well for the high school athletic teams.
    The outpouring of help is awesome.

I just noticed that the 'crowellracing' link(2 posts ABOVE) has been updated with new photos(it is meant to tell a story). Two co-workers have implemented text messaging for the residents

http://www.crowellracing.com/greensburg/

Blog Entries
    photo album link above updated(if you click directly on the photo on the first page you get more photos--Kirstie Alley is in one)...last update for awhile. It really reads well.
    Never heard the saying 'when the cow falls in the well, you get back to work even on Sunday' LOL! (maybe it's not a saying, maybe it happened but I didn't see a photo !)

+ Reply to Thread