+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hymenocallis Festalis

Blog Entries

Hymenocallis Festalis

I had a weak moment and bought a package of two bulbs at Wally World today and am not so sure I want to plant them in the ground since I know they aren't hardy here. So I figured I'd just pot them. BUT, I need some advise on how big of a pot to use and how deep to plant the bulbs in the pot (yep, gonna put them both in the same pot). I suspect the pot should be a good sized one since I am going to plant both bulbs in the same pot, just basically need to know "how big" and how "deep". I would prefer NOT to have to re-pot them every year, just add fresh potting mix as needed and feed the plants well during their active growing season.

Advise please! I got no where with my Google searches - no detailed info on pot culture for this bulb.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca,

They are Peruvian Daffodils, and they some varieties grow in the wild here.

You do not need a big pot for them, and they do go dormant in the winter.

They like WET, WET, and more WET to do their best.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    The bulbs I have are a good 2 inches in diameter and I understand that is species is a fast increaser, so about a 10 to 12 inch pot to give them plenty of room for increase and root production. the package says the hole (for in the ground planting) should be only 3 inches deep, which would barely cover these bulbs. Seems to me that that isn't quite deep enough, not for pot culture anyway. Plus, these have already sprouted,crooked, of course. In fact, I am pondering not covering the bulbs completely until the new growth straightens up.

Another question; are these heavy feeders like most bulbs (grown as potted plants)?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca,

They will be fine in one gallon per bulb pots. I wouldn't try to put more than one in a pot.

Yes, they like fertilizer, but I think more importantly, they like water!

I have always buried them with their nose beneath the surface. I do not know how they will do if planted like hippeastrum.

Mine stay outside all year, but ashamedly, they are still in pots.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thanks,Ann, I figured you'd know!

Rebecca

These bulbs are not big, and it is wise to plant them, like Sprekelia - the nose of the bulbs embedded in the soil; then it will not become fatal if/when the uppermost centimeters, pardon, inches of the soil might dry out between the waterings...

Blog Entries
    Hans,

Thank you! So now when I do pot these up I will also have to re-pot my Sprekelia, 'cause they aren't planted right! That's o-kay though as they could use a deeper pot anyway.

Rebecca

+ Reply to Thread