+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blankets Off !

Blog Entries

Blankets Off !

All blankets came off today. Lilium is fine. Some bent-not broken stems- I figure they will right themselves with some rain and sun.
    The poor hydrangeas got damaged--their leaves are dark green and look like wilted old lettuce. My one hydrangea that an internet search,when I first got it 2 years ago, indicated was a house plant and would never live outside- looks fine. Go figure. I did a bad job protecting the hydrangeas using bubble wrap night 1 and blankets night 2 after the danage was probably done. I hope they rally.
    Clematis are back outside.
    Rebecca's peonies , which were tented with bubble wrap, look fine. I think peonies are tough as it is.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Our freeze warnings have been lifted as well. I uncovered this morning. A lot of bent plants and one broken Rose of Sharon. Everything looks god except my poor crinum that I bought last year. It is mush. I hope it comes out of it as it is in the front bed and was very pretty last year. That is what it gets for coming up so early. I had a bucket oever it but it wasn't enough apparently. All the potted plants came through it okay.
    tennessee sue

Sue, My crinum do that every winter, all winter long. We will get a warm spell, and they will start to grow. Only to be bitten back by another freeze...

They do not seem to mind that or at least mine don't.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, It got bit as soon as it showed above ground. The very tips of the leaves were brown. Now it looks melted. Do you tink I should leave it alone or cut the mush off? It is about 8 inches tall.
    The cold did not hurt the beautiful glads Cathy sent me last year. They were also up way too early but more protected by the eaves of the house. I am really amazed I didn't have more damage with all the plants up so early due to the warmth in March.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread